SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By iandouglas
I've followed instructions through various sites which have all given the same information about wiring the DS18B20 sensor to a Raspberry Pi (red is 3.3V, black is ground, white connects to GPIO pin 4 and bridged to 3.3V with a 4.7k to 10k pull-up resistor.

When I run "sudo modprobe w1_therm ; sudo modprobe w1_gpio" I can see the temperature sensor start to set up under /sys/bus/w1/devices/ but only the master portion. It never finds a slave device. I see a symlink called "w1_bus_master1" which points back to /sys/bus/w1/drivers/w1_master_driver but that's all I get. If I follow the symlink, I see files like "w1_master_slave_count" and "w1_master_slaves" but when I cat the "w1_master_slave_count" it always says 0, and looking at the "w1_master_slaves" file always reports "not found."

I'm not sure what else to try. The product page here on SparkFun said to use a 4.7k - 10k resistor and one reply said the Dallas could go as low as 2.2k on a 3.3V supply, so I've tried a couple of combinations. I didn't want to try the 5V supply since another user said theirs went up in a puff of smoke on a 5V rail.

I'd love any insight or input from others who have rigged one of these up to their Raspberry Pi.