SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By jkoeh
Can xbees be used to fabricate a wire free usb webcam with a 20 foot range? (assuming separate 5V power for the cam itself)

I want to make a circular array of usb cams for "Matrix" style stop action movie footage. I need proof of concept first with point to point, then multi node to single point later.

Searched the web for a wireless USB "extender" and no such product exists except for the Belkin F5U301 that most reviews indicate runs hot a burns out.

Any input/help appreciated.
By jkoeh
waltr wrote:No. XBees have low data bandwidth and can not be a USB Host.

Maybe a better way is use an R-Pi for each camera and connect through WiFi.
Okay Thanks, Sounds like the R-PI B+ may be the ticket, ordered it and some accessories (and the getting started book). Thank you!
By Ross Robotics
Though i haven't read any reviews about this security cam, I would say that if your not trying to send 1080p with 23 million colors, why not try it? You may learn something..
By waltr
jkoeh wrote:BTW, will the R-Pi running linux play nice with a Windows PC via WiFi?
Yes, I have several Windows PCs (XP, vista, win8.1), a Linux Ubuntu PC and an R-Pi all on my WiFi network. Works fine.
By jkoeh
codlink wrote:Though i haven't read any reviews about this security cam, I would say that if your not trying to send 1080p with 23 million colors, why not try it? You may learn something..
I did order a mini cam and receiver to experiment with. Under the best conditions, they are limited to NTSC, 525 interlaced, which isn't a lot of vertical resolution. HD will be I much bigger project I am realizing. Thank you, we'll see.
By waltr
jkoeh wrote:
codlink wrote:Though i haven't read any reviews about this security cam, I would say that if your not trying to send 1080p with 23 million colors, why not try it? You may learn something..
I did order a mini cam and receiver to experiment with. Under the best conditions, they are limited to NTSC, 525 interlaced, which isn't a lot of vertical resolution. HD will be I much bigger project I am realizing. Thank you, we'll see.
Yep, it is.
That camera is a good start to see what is possible.