SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By roach
I'm working on a design that involves an LPC2148 from Philips as the controller. As it happens, these are pretty much impossible to buy anywhere, so I'm considering replacing it with something else, but have no idea what to use. What I'm looking for:

- Built-in USB (preferably with an open-source USB stack, like LPCUSB)
- Hardware SPI support
- Lots and Lots (and lots) of flash.
- fast system clock (up to 60MHz).

I'm sure there's an Atmel AT90SAM7 or something that will fit the bill, but I've looked around a bit, and there doesn't seem to be as much adoption of this in the user community, so finding open-source sample code could be comparatively much more difficult.

Anyone have any ideas?
By brennen
If you want something that will really outperform, check out those new Cirrus ARM9 boards from Olimex. They said that SparkFun should be getting them soon. You can even run a Linux variant on them according to the Olimex page. They also have 2 USB ports.

As far as user adoption, the Philips chips have really taken a pretty good hold. I would guess that the Atmel chips are probably the best contender, but as you said, may not have as large a code base.
By prpplague
roach wrote: "I'm working on a design that involves an LPC2148 from Philips as the controller. As it happens, these are pretty much impossible to buy anywhere, so I'm considering replacing it with something else, but have no idea what to use. What I'm looking for:

- Built-in USB (preferably with an open-source USB stack, like [url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/lpcusb]LPCUSB[/url])
- Hardware SPI support
- Lots and Lots (and lots) of flash.
- fast system clock (up to 60MHz)."

you are probably gonna get a ton of suggestions but alot of them will be for larger arm720t and arm920t chips as few of the really smaller arm7tdmi chips have usb onboard. if usb onboard wasn't part of the list you could look at things like the samsung S3c44b0X or the sharp LH754xx series. for those you could add a SL811HS chip or a ISP1161 for the usb. in addition you could simply use something like a usb->rs232 chip to connect to one of the onboard uarts which removes the need for a usb stack all together.

over all the LPC2148 meets a really specific need and not many companies out there are addressing that need, hence the demand on the 2148 is high.
By roach
prpplague wrote:in addition you could simply use something like a usb->rs232 chip to connect to one of the onboard uarts which removes the need for a usb stack all together.
Well, not all together. I wanted to implement a USB mass storage device, which is not really addressed by the rs232 solution...
By prpplague
[quote="roach"][quote="prpplague"]in addition you could simply use something like a usb->rs232 chip to connect to one of the onboard uarts which removes the need for a usb stack all together.[/quote]Well, not [i]all together[/i]. I wanted to implement a USB mass storage device, which is not really addressed by the rs232 solution...[/quote]

yea true, but you didn't post that fact, hehe

you could always just get a Pixter Mutlimedia for around $35USD - http://www.elinux.org/wiki/PixterMultimedia