SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mpanetta
I want to make a device that uses the OLED Display that sparkfun sells + maybe the camera, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the current draw of the OLED is at the different voltges, or maybe just a rough guess of its wattage while powered on. I was thinking about powering it off one of the Li-Poly batteries so current draw would be a concern. I can get the info on what the controler chip drawas from its datasheet, but the one on the whole assembly does not tell what the current requirements are for the LED powersupply.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
By KamPutty
Mike,

The latest spec can be found on my here:

http://www.bansalcreative.com/Transfer/Transfer.htm

page 54 has the DC/AC specs.

Let me know if you need more info...

~Kam (^8*
By mpanetta
What about the power requirements of the display itself? I guess that would just be the LED matrix? I gather that it runs off 12V, but whats the current draw?

Thanks,
Mike
By KamPutty
Mike,

I'm currently running a test where I draw as many rectangles as I can, filled with random colors etc....in other words, busy as hell!

My power meter (I'm running the oled on its own power, pic on its own) says that at 3.3v (I'm using the booster in the oled carrier board) is approx 130mA

Also, when you plug the bad boy in (ie. but no commands are running) it take very little power. I thought the oled was not working! So heads up.

I'm using the 8080 serial "spi" mode.

If I just draw a box full size filled with color while and just that, it pulls 140mA.

Also, another head up, you can sent it commands faster then it can process them, and in doing so, you stop the last command. So delays are needed as there is no "busy" flag that I could find.

Also, the new spec (1.7) did show I think 1 (2?) new commands that are not in the 1.0 spec...

Take care,

~Kam (^8*
~Kam (^8*
By mpanetta
Thanks! Thats exactly the kind of info I needed. So it looks like this display is actually pretty good when powered down.

Mike