SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By danstrider
I'm stuck. I don't have a huge background in electronics, but I learn best by trying and asking intelligent questions, so here goes :-)

I have a cool project idea that uses a variometer to sense updrafts that gliders/birds need to stay aloft ... but I can't figure out how to hook it up to my microcontroller. I had a friend o-scope the output for me and it showed 5v peak-to-peak as the picture shows here: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~djedward/sensor%20output.JPG

We got a signal when comparing signal 1 to signal 2, but got nothing when comparing signal 1 to ground or signal 2 to ground. I was hoping to input the signal and time edge rise to edge rise (the duty cycle is always 50%), but I have two wires that must be compared to each other, reading just one or the other won't work.

I tried a subtracting op-amp circuit as a sort of comparitor, but that didn't yield anything (o-scope is locked up at work, so I can't get to it for the weekend).

Any other ideas? Since the uC and sensor are on different power supplies, can I pull signal 1 to the uC ground and simply watch for the interrupt on signal 2?

Simple solutions are best b/c like I said, I'm new to the whole robotics thing.

I will definitely clarify as best as possible if someone is interested in helping!

Dan
By JonChandler
From your post, it sounds like the controller and sensor have seperate power supplies and SEPERATE grounds? Tie the grounds together and things will work better.