SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By adabada
Howdy,

The subject says it all. I'm looking for a way to simulate an inkjet printer on Windows (and linux if possible) and Teensy was the only product I could find here to do the job. Can Teensy do it? If not, can you recommend anything else I can buy here to do the job?

Thanks!
By falingtrea
Most modern printers have bidirectional interfaces, which would be much harder to emulate, since the printer driver would be expecting specific responses from the printer for ink level, paper jams, etc. Unfortunately in order to do that you would probably have to reverse engineer an existing printer interface or write a specific printer driver that would work with a simulator. There is no generic printer driver interfaces that I know of. For instance USB printer drivers look for specific PID/VIDs and possibly specific responses from a printer. But if the printer driver has a unidirectional setting, you may be able to fake the printer driver by a device that sends the same USB configuration as the printer. If so, then just about any microprocessor with a USB device interface would work.
By adabada
Isn't there an open source 3d printer module that connects to a pc via usb? I've been looking for something like that to try and get some ideas out but so far I could only find printers that work with SD cards and stuff like that.