SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By karkas
Good morning, I am working with accelerometer MMA7361 with an arduino MEGA 2560. In my routine I'm only measuring the values and showing them in the serial monitor, later I will be using them to set a threshold to trigger a subroutine, and even in the sleep mode they have an offset value (X=320, Y=360, Z=160), and fluctuating not a little. Can I diagnose the device as damaged by observing this? or are there some other tests that I should run or other settings I am missing?. It measures the acceleration and rises the voltages, but with this offset even in sleep mode.

I started the tests today and I am not using the capacitors becuase they're not available for now, tomorrow I will have them, but this shouldn't affect the operation this way. g-select and Self Test pins are left unconnected.

Thank you very much in advance.
By Mee_n_Mac
If the offset voltages don't show the 1g due to gravity changing as you twist the accel around, then I'd say it's sleeping and perhaps what you're seeing is the residual voltage on some internal cap.

Try powering the device off a charged-up cap. See if there's a significant difference in run-times (sleep vs awake) ... or time to drop 0.5v off the cap.