SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By colorsound
Hello

is it possible to read a picture file from a SD card that is already inside of a camera ?
what i would like to do is take a picture and then be able to read this file from arduino or other device without taking it out .
i saw this wifi sd cards they do exactly what i need apart from the wifi i would like to get the data with wires .

any recommendations ?

regards and thank you.
By fll-freak
An SD uses an SPI interface with the camera as the master and the card as the slave. You would like to add another slave outside the camera to read the contents of the card.

As I see it you have a bunch of issues.
1) Why not just use the camera's likely USB interface to pull the images off?
2) Attaching wires. I have seen SD card extenders for sale that might work, but you would not be able to close the SD door.
3) Two master's and one slave do not work unless the system was designed that way from the start. The second slave needs to tristate the MISO, MOSI, and clock lines to prevent contention. This might be solved if you turn the camera off, but it might not be either.
4) That wifi SD card is looking much better.
By colorsound
hi , thank you for your response.

I dont use the camera usb because i want to send the picture file remotely using arduino or other device from a drone.
So take one picture camera file is in SD card take the file send it.
Yes the wifi SD is nice option but having to have wifi on a drone to send the file to other device and this send remotely (farther than wifi capabilities) , was not as good as to have the file directly from wires and avoid wifi staff.

yes i have seen those SD extender something like this but double male to one female plug extender will be nice if they exist.

i guess turning camera off or putting in idle could be possible .

cheers
By Ross Robotics
colorsound wrote:hi , thank you for your response.

I dont use the camera usb because i want to send the picture file remotely using arduino or other device from a drone.
So take one picture camera file is in SD card take the file send it.
Yes the wifi SD is nice option but having to have wifi on a drone to send the file to other device and this send remotely (farther than wifi capabilities) , was not as good as to have the file directly from wires and avoid wifi staff.
cheers
So you have a 'drone.' Is this a flying drone? If it is, how are you going to have wires attached to it when it's flying? Or maybe it's land based, having wires attached to it would defeat the whole purpose of it being a 'drone.'
By colorsound
hi
you can have a drone and a camera together and an arduino in it, as well as have 5 cms cables connected to each of the components if you need. so yes you can have a drone with a camera and cables in it ;D
By Ross Robotics
Where's the PC? You need a PC to process the images..
By UhClem
fll-freak wrote:An SD uses an SPI interface with the camera as the master and the card as the slave. You would like to add another slave outside the camera to read the contents of the card.
This assumes that the camera is using the slower SPI interface mode which seems unlikely.
By colorsound
hi
sorry maybe i did not explain properly , The idea is to send the image remotely kilometers away from the place that picture is taken from a flying drone, FPV are nice but usually video composite quality and do not reach many kilometeres, so i was thinking get the file from sd in the drone and send via gprs or similar from the drone. then get it in the other part via a receiver a computer. it seems not an easy task as far as i read. maybe there are other ways or solution for it ?