SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By bundy
Hello,
I am using a BigEasyDriver V2 and an Arduino Mega. I want to set the stepper mode (FULLSTEP,HLFSTEP .... MICROSTEPPING) by software. For this I connected M1,M2 and M3 to digital outputs of the arduino, setting them digital LOW/HIGH. This doesn't work.
When connecting M1,M2,M3 TO GRND/VCC I can correctly set the stepper mode by hardwaresetting. But I want a software setting.
Is it possible to connect instead MS1,MS2 and MS3 to the digital outputs of the arduino? (I can't test it at the moment because of my miserable soldering capabilities)
Or ist there no software solution (because of differences between LOW and GRND / HIGH and VCC ?)
Thanks
By jremington
bundy wrote: For this I connected M1,M2 and M3 to digital outputs of the arduino, setting them digital LOW/HIGH. This doesn't work.
It should have worked. Did you connect the grounds of the arduino and the motor driver together?
Have you verified with a multimeter that when you set the digital output on, say M1, to high that is is actually high?
By EmbeddedMan
Also note that the Big Easy Driver can be set to use 3.3V or 5V logic power - make sure you set that properly for the output voltage of the controller board you're using to send the signals to M1, M2 and M3. But yes, connecting them directly to output pins of the controller board should work. Verify voltage levels with a meter to see where things are wrong.

*Brian