SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By roach
I'm hunting for a part, and thought someone on these forums might have a clue. Basically, I'm looking for a jog-wheel / navigation wheel, similar to what one might see on a Blackberry. You know, the little scroll-wheel on the side?

Any ideas?
By Kuroi Kenjin
you mean the like a quadrature or gray-code encoder? (optical, mechanical, capacitive) Try searching for "encoder" in Digikey. They'll be in the switches category. There is a rather wide range in prices for them. Most of these seem to be used for straight up knobs. Although if you find a small enough one and a small knob, that would probably be what you're looking for.

Edit: Select the Edge Driver in the Features filter. I get 3 choices... none under $10 (although one is min of 600), but you should be able to get a sample or look elsewhere now that you know what they're called.
By riden
You can also search for "jog wheel" on the SparkFun forum. I remember this being asked before. This message thread should get you started.
By Kuroi Kenjin
That post looks rather familiar. ^_^
By roach
Thanks, guys, the digikey part mentioned in that thread was exactly what I was looking for!