SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By roach
Has anyone tried the OLED sample code available on SparkFun? Is there an accompanying schematic? It's not clear from the code which interface mode (8080 or 6800) is being used, though it seems to be one of the parallel modes, and not SPI. Some of the pin declarations are a bit ambiguous...
Code: Select all
#define LCD_RW    0x00000080    //Is this OLED R/W pin #16? If so, the naming seems to indicate use of the 6800 interface mode.
#define LCD_RS    0x04000000    //What pin is this on the OLED?
#define LCD_RD    0x00008000    //Is this E(RD#) pin # 15? If so, the naming seems to indicate use of the 8080 interface mode (BS1 & BS2 both pulled high)
#define LCD_RSTB  0x80000000    //What OLED pin is this? RES# #21?
Is one mode "better" than the other?
By wheeler
It's sort of 6800. The choice of names is poor. It's not technically correct from a timing aspect though, and most likely won't work on other processors (I'm not sure how it does on the LPC).

The data should be present on the output port *before* the CS# pin is lowered if you're going to leave Enable high the way they do.

Other than that it mostly works. With the above change and some other IO changes to increase efficiency I ported it to my STR711 dev board from Olimex and it shows a bunch of circles just fine.
By Ray
RS is DC on the oled see this post on how i got it working on an lpc
By Grimm Spector
boggles my mind as to how I'd ever make that work on a PIC...
By wheeler
So I've since heard elsewhere it's 8080 in the example code. Maybe that's why it didn't work when I set it up for 6800 :)