SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Chevelle
Hi. I am working on a project where I used an Arduino Uno as a development platform. The Arduino function was pretty simple. It took the information provided by sensors on an I2C bus and just passed that raw data off to the PC connected via the COM/USB port.

I now want to "productize" this and do not need the full Arduino functions for the dedicated product. I have replaced the Arduino with a PICAXE with marginal success but have to go to a completely different IDE to program that device. (I use Visual Studio with the Arduino plugin.) The 8-pin PICAXE was all that was needed since all it does is read from the I2C slaves and pass the data to the PC.

So the question is what uController would you recommend that ideally can be programmed through the COM/USB module (I am using the FT231 chip) that can replace the Arudino?

Thanks very much.

Chevelle
By Chevelle
Thanks all. I definitely will use the ATtiny for a future project but as it turns out, the PICAXE is doing the job very nicely now. (There were some communication issues but they are sorted out and all is well.) You can see the progress of this project in my project thread.