SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Hami
Hello,

i want a circuit without a on switch. The schematik is attached below. A battery may be connected through K8 (Power In) and be charged trough an external charger circuit connected at k9 (Bat_load). There are 2 LDOs. U2 powers an MCU. U1 powers some sensors. To switch it on, an external signal on K3 (On) may power the MCU. Afterwards, the MCU keeps hisself enebled through the POWER_ON signal. The external signal at K3 may be diconnected. The MCU enebles U1 through "Sens ON".
Power.gif
Will the circuit work as i want it to do?

Thank you in advance
Hami
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Mee_n_Mac
It appears to be OK. W/o knowing what the LDOs are I can't say whether the Power_On signal (presumably a 3.3V level) will work after a diode drop.
By skimask
The LT1129 and MCP1825 types that I generally use are a ...'pull low to turn off'... rather than a ...'pull high to turn on'..., so should work even after a few diode drops @ 3.3v
By Hami
Mee_n_Mac and skimask, thank you very much for your response. I did not see the problem with the forward voltage drop. Thus, i did not report the parts, i want to use, sorry.

I want to use as diode the CDSQR4448:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/80/CDSQR4448 ... -27238.pdf

and as LDO the MIC 5205:
http://www.micrel.com/_PDF/mic5205.pdf
Mee_n_Mac wrote:It appears to be OK. W/o knowing what the LDOs are I can't say whether the Power_On signal (presumably a 3.3V level) will work after a diode drop.
Yes, signals are at a 3.3V basis. The diode has a forward voltage drop of max. 0.72V (at If=5mA) and the LDO switches on at a enable input logic-high voltage of 2.0V. Therefore, the circuit should work? Is my choice for the LDO and diode ok?

Thanks in advance
Hami
By MichaelN
Those regulators are not designed to be used with ceramic output capacitors, which have very low ESR and can lead to instability. You can either use tantalum capacitors, or add small resistors in series with ceramic capacitors. Personally, I only use regulators designed for ceramic caps.

The datasheet states: "For low-dropout regulators that are stable with ceramic output capacitors, see the μCap MIC5245/6/7 family"
By Hami
MichaelN, thank you, very good point (I should do better reserach next time). I will consider it. Unfortunately Mouser does not sell (or at least they are not in stock) this family. Which LDOs are u using? May you recommend a LDO?

Best
Hami
By dlotton
Something to consider...

I'm not sure what how much current your sensors require. You could use a single regulator and a P-Channel MOSFET (or a load switch) to switch power to the sensor(s). This solution could reduce part count and/or cost... not that the part count on a LDO is particularly onerous.

Just another approach to consider.

DL
By MichaelN
Hami wrote:Which LDOs are u using? May you recommend a LDO?
I've used LP2985 for quite a few years, but there are lots of others (eg MIC5203).