SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By TheDigitizer
Hi there,

I'm currently trying to make a 2D digitizer by incorporating lasers and an XY-grid actuated by stepper motors. I'm going to be using LabVIEW and an arduino UNO to interface with my Easy Driver. I'm trying to avoid C code :D .

Problem:

Initially I had wired the easy driver with a 12V 0.6A wall outlet power supply directly into the Easy Driver (M+, GND). The Arduino UNO was then wired to the STEP and DIR pins that I had soldered onto the Easy Driver in addition to the GND pin. The Arduino UNO was powered by the PC via USB connection. I noticed though by using this set up, my +5V led was blinking indicating something was awry. I perused the forums and it seems like the power supply I had used was not sufficient in current (.6A vs. the necessary 1.5+A). The motor (57BYGH303) was engaged though since the holding torque made it impossible to move the gear attached to the stepper shaft by hand when the power was on.

I then went and got another power supply that was 12V, 2.6A. I noticed that the large chip in the middle got extremely hot. Over several tries to make the entire set up talk with one another and ultimately make the motor move, I fried the large chip :oops: .

So my question is that what went wrong? Is there something I am missing in terms of making the motor come alive? I've tried using LabVIEW's example VI's but that still does not make the motor move. What is the power requirements and how does it relate to the motor I'm using? How did I fry that chip, I thought the ED had a current regulator and heat safety protocols?

I've exhausted my puddle of knowledge about motors/controllers, any insight would be appreciated.

-The Digiziter
By EmbeddedMan
Digitizer,

Tell us exactly what motors you are using, and we can suggest a proper setting of the current limit pot on the EasyDriver. That should help a lot.

Note that, under normal use, the chips on the Easy Driver will get very hot.

*Brian