SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By snifagoose
Hello, I am a complete noob to this Sparky fun stuff, but have been trying to figure out how to make a motion activated video recorder for my outdoor dog pen. I would like the camera (MCOS IR Camera Module) to begin recording when motion is detected using the PIR Motion sensor. The goal is to have the relatively compact system record video straight onto an external hard drive that can be easily transferred to a computer for later viewing.

The main questions that I have are:
1: Can I format the external hard drive (USB) to use a linux camera driver to record the video ouput?
2: What micro controller should I choose for a system as simple as this? (or perhaps a controller that could handle the integration of a second indoor camera at some point)
3: With the output RCA signal, do I need to have the system connected to an LCD screen, or can I save the video directly to the hard drive?

Like I mentioned earlier I am very new to this, so any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
By MichaelN
Do you want to do this for the challenge, or do you just want a functional system? If it’s the latter, I’d suggest a pre-built system, including cameras(s) and HDD recording box. They are available very cheap (even Ebay can be OK), and you probably won’t need the PIR motion sensor. These days the recording boxes can decide when to record based on changes to the video picture, and you can even configure which areas to monitor for changes and which to ignore. They can easily be monitored remotely via web browser or mobile ap.
By CircuitBurner
A lot depends on how much you want to spend to get whatever features in the end product you may want.
If you wanted remotely supplied AC power for dog-pen lighting (or refrigerators), small nuclear reactors available from Westinghouse could be utilized on the far end for reliable power generation in all conditions, only adding 63 million $$ to the overall cost.
But if you really wanted to stay low budget and the dogs dont need refrigerators or TV's, then of course integration of a set of commercially available devices would be your best choice.
Personally, I would opt for the reactor, but you can also just use a cheap 30 dollar SD micro camera with its own SD card slot support, and key the thing with the passive 3-terminal PIR sensor (just supply the 5v VIN needed for the sensor for its IR radiating LED light source.) You need no hard drives or associated support then.
By snifagoose
MichalN:
I am doing this project for the challenge, which would in turn give me a better understanding about how to manipulate and capture video data... I also do not want to spend an arm and a leg to make this small project feasible to keep an eye on my pups.

CircuitBurner:
I am aiming for a low cost system similar to the one you mentioned with a micro cam and an SD card. I do however, really like the IR feature of the CMOS IR camera. I would like to be able to see any nighttime action as well.

I appreciate both responses. Do either of you guys know roughly how much this would cost if I opted to try to build the thing myself?
By CircuitBurner
As described (without reactor remote power) prolly around 50-60 bucks, depends on your shopping.