SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By cheesy
I'm looking to buy an oscilloscope to help out with various projects and whatnot. I've used really nice digital ones in my university labs, but they're a little out of my price range. :wink:

I'm looking to spend at most around $300 (maybe more if it's a particularly good deal). Used is fine as long as it works.

Any suggestions? I don't want to deal with shipping, so I've found a couple locally so far, each is asking $100...

Tektronix 466 (100MHz digital storage oscilloscope, with original manuals and probes)

BK Precision 2120 (20MHz analog oscilloscope, with original manual and one crappy probe)

Comments? They seem like pretty good deals. What should I be looking for?
By awright
I don't think anyone can advise you on the 'scope to buy without knowing what you want to work on.

The most important thing is that the 'scope works. Obviously, you can get a much better deal buying a 'scope that doesn't work and fixing it, but then it will take time to fix and, as they say, time is money.

Only you can decide whether the frequency range is a potential problem. If you want to look at fast, digital waveforms, the 100 MHz unit would be appropriate. If you basically work in audio most of the time, the 20 MHz unit would be fine.

All things being equal, I would take a Tektronix before a Precision, but that could just be bias. I've never used or seen a Precision 'scope. And I haven't had any dealings with Tek in the last 20 years.

My advice would be to try to sit down and use each 'scope for a while and see which one feels right and works best. Put them through all paces. Check triggering convenience and stability. Look under the hood, if possible, and observe condition, cleanliness, circuit board quality, layout for ease of servicing, etc.

Good luck.

awright
By cheesy
Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for a pretty general purpose oscilloscope, both digital electronics (like microcontrollers) and analog/audio type stuff (like synths). The 100MHz bandwidth would definitely be good, especially with today's fast microcontrollers.
By Philba
I would avoid the storage scopes as it's very hard to get replacement tubes. If the tube is or goes bad, you are left with useless junk or, at best, a very high repair cost.

I agree with the tek bias - they put a lot more into their input circuits and the rated mhz is very conservative. other's play with specs, Tek never did.

I'd look for at least a 2 channel scope with an external trigger, delayed sweep. faster is better, obviously. I like my tek 2225 which is a 50 mhz 2 ch scope. Being portable is a great feature. Got it for $100 on ebay a year ago.

don't scrimp on probes. get the best you can. most used scopes don't come with probes or they are lousy.

Make sure the scope has as many extras as possible - probes, user manual, cover, accessories kit and so on. if missing, price it down.