SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By DonPancoe
Reposting this here in addition to the product comments section...

Got my IOIO-OTG working over USB with my Android tablet (HP Touchpad running CM9) and Processing for Android, thanks to this tutorial (http://benatwork.cc/how-to-use-processi ... oio-board/). I can’t get it to connect over my Bluetooth dongle, however (http://plugable.com/products/usb-bt4le). Is there something I’m missing, or is this dongle just not compatible?

BTW, I am both powering and connecting to the Android device/Bluetooth dongle through a USB-OTG Y cable.

UPDATE from Pluggable.com...
We don’t have any experience with the IOIO-OTG, but expect it won’t have the full Bluetooth stack and recognition of the VID/PID of this particular USB Bluetooth adapter. Unless you can find another positive report, we’d expect it would not be possible. Sorry for the bad news!
I would appreciate any additional thoughts, although I may just have to buy a dongle proven to work with the IOIO-OTG (per the IOIO Wiki).

Don P.
By DonPancoe
Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, I'm not even seeing the dongle/IOIO in the list of available Bluetooth devices, so I don't even get to the pairing step.

Don P.
By DonPancoe
I bought another Bluetooth dongle that was on the compatible dongle list at the IOIO Wiki (the Kingsmart BUD-07B through Amazon). I can see this one from the Android tablet when I search for devices, and I can successfully pair it to the tablet. I can also verify that it is connected using IOIO Hardware Tester from the Google Play store, although it does take a few moments to connect. When I try to run apps that worked with the IOIO over USB, however, I get a message from the tablet that says "Unfortunately, myAppName has stopped." This even happens with the unmodified HelloIOIO app.

Are there any lines I need to add to my code to actually connect the tablet to the IOIO via Bluetooth? Is there something else I'm missing? I have added the IOIOLibAndroid, IOIOLibBT and IOIOLibAccessories libraries to my project using Project > Properties > Android etc.

Thanks,
Don P.