SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By mzoran
I'm looking to design my own board for the CFAX LCD and touchscreen. What parts do I need to drive the backlight. It appears from the documentation that this is a high voltage backlight.

I found a few parts on digikey but I'm not sure they are the current thing. One part I found is the NDL-201 which is clasified as "Inverters for Electoluminescent (EL) Backlighting" which seems to match the voltage and frequency requirements of the display. Am I looking at the correct parts?
By sparky
We use a recommended CFAX part from the CrystalFontz forum : the HV826MG available from Mouser. SSOP 8 is a bit of evil, but SOIC 8 is also available I believe.

-Nathan
By roach
I used a backlight hack on this (or a similar?) display, that basically takes the two backlight LEDS (connected in series by default), and rewires them in parallel. You can power the backlight using 3.6V supply (don't forget the CL resistor!). Cribbed the whole thing from here: http://www.myplace.nu/mp3/yabbse/index. ... 4.msg11286.

bingo: no need for an EL driver, or any DC conversion. Worked like a charm. I'm not certain this is the EXACT same display that Sparkfun sells, though, so beware.

Hope this helps!
By roach
D'OH! Just realized I'm talking about the Nokia display, not the CFAX display. Sorry (brain fart).