SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By BaudThief
Hello,

This is my first time attempting to build anything battery backed-up... Well, aside from an RTC circuit anyway.

Bought a stack of MAX1555's, 3 x 100mAh LiPo batteries and 7x860mAh LiPo batteries. Wired them up the same way as Sparkfun's protoboard - no problem, charging fine and cutting off when full.

Now heres my issue. I need to build some sort of changeover circuit, that will kick the battery in once the main supply is disconnected. My existing circuit mainly contains a dsPIC30F4013, GM862-Python & Lassen IQ GPS module.

GPS & GSM modem both run at ~3v3 via an LT1528, andthe dsPIC runs at 5v via a 7805 (but would be happy down to about 3v6 without losing too much speed)

I've noticed theres a "SYSTEM" connection on the MAX1555 which allows me to draw and charge at the same time, but i'm assuming it'd **** itself if I tried to draw > 100mA

Has anyone built such a changeover circuit, and am I wrong about the >100mA on the System connector?

Thanks!
-Bt
By Caffeine
I'd suggest using a different charger chip. Maxim make a LiPo charger that has an logic level output that indicates when a DC power supply is connected.

They do free samples too.