SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By DanielF
Hi again.
I left the EB connected as my previous measurement (STEP and DIR connected to GND) and the +5V pin reads a nice 5.0V.
Maybe I have shorted something out when soldering pins onto the board?
By EmbeddedMan
Daniel,

Whoa. That totally surprises me. I don't see how that could be, honestly, but obviously it's true. So you've got a good 5V, but your Vref is wrong. On my EasyDriver (v4.2, but should be same as v4.4) I can get 5.00V to 1.60V on TP1 by turning the pot.

I'd get another ED, drop it in, and see if that fixes it. Other than your pot being semi-damaged in some way, I just can't see how you can't get to 5V if you've got 5V on the +5V pin.

*Brian
By DanielF
I have ordered two new ED boards and when I get them I will test with a new one and see if that works better.
Thanks for your help.

/Daniel
By DanielF
Ok small update.
I feel a bit embarrassed but it turns out I had not turned the current adjustment pot all the way round (My screwdriver was to big so I couldn't get in in there). I got a hold of a smaller screwdriver and now I can get 5V from GND to TP1 when the pot is turn all the way clockwise. However the motor still doesn't move. :(

I pretty sure I have connected the motor correct. Is there a way to test the motor to see if it is broken or something?
By EmbeddedMan
Sure. Take your meter on the low ohms setting, and measure between each wire of the motor to all others. You should find that the two coils should have a very low resistance (look on the datasheet for your motor - but not zero ohms), and there should be almost infinite resistance between the two coils. If that checks out, your motor is probably fine.

So, any chance you could test it again now that you can turn the pot all the way round?

*Brian
By DanielF
Hi Brian.
Good news, the motor and board is just fine.
It turns out that my splice connecting the motor cords and the ED was faulty. Strange since I could measure continuity, but I redid the splice and now it all works fine :)
By DanielF
I thought that if everything is ok with the ED then the only thing left that could be broken was either the motor itself or the splice, so I redid the splice for testing and the whole thing came to life :)