SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By veedub88
Hello, I am building a project that I eventually want to sell. It will be basically an interactive artwork type of display. It is comprised of an arduino and other sparkfun parts as well as about 30-40 motors. The power supply will be rated at less than 4A and probably 5v and 12v output. If I use a UL approved power supply do I have to worry about any sort of legalities or rules of selling my finished product? Anyone have any experience in this arena?

Thanks, Ben
By Blackfin
If you talk to any test authority (UL, CSA, TUV etc) they will likely tell you that any "system" whose end-use configuration is mains-connected should be tested against the relevant standards like UL60950-1. If you use a power supply that carries a UL Listed mark and also includes an LPS (limited power source) designation your risk is greatly reduced though not eliminated: Keep in mind that having a test report from such an authority would go a long way in a court of law should something "bad" happen with an end-user. Safety is not just about mains leakage currents, insulation strength and so on. There are requirements for things with moving parts, temperatures of accessible surfaces, what happens during an overload condition etc etc.

The FCC basically requires any end-use system with device(s) operating at 9kHz and above must be verified for compliance to 47CFR15 (i.e. "FCC part 15") and that it must carry appropriate markings and phraseology such as "This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Continued used is ..."

Many individuals and companies put products on the market with no certification and they generally fly under the radar of the FCC and other authorities. I don't condone it but understand it: Certification testing can be expensive.

If you opt to not do testing, at least make sure you've got a technical file (design, concepts, calculations etc) showing due diligence at least on the safety side of things. The FCC doesn't often come down hard on "little guys" but it does happen. If caught, I suspect you'd be asked to cease and desist from selling the product until such a time as it is certified. You may also be required to recall all product you've sold. I suspect states would be hard pressed to make a federal case, so to speak, out of selling a product that is inherently safe and powered from an approved power supply with an LPS rating.