SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By kg4flj
Not sure if this is the right place for this but here we go. As I was sitting here, I got hit with an idea for something that I wanted to throw together with my 13 YO son for field day next weekend. I would like to come up with some type of scrolling badge. I looked through my parts box and aside from the normal resistors & caps, I found a couple of PIC 16f628a and 16f84a Microcontrollers and a couple of 16 Char x 1 Line LCD modules with Hitachi controllers.

Now, herein lies the problem. The PICs and LCDs were obtained because I got a good deal on them, not because I knew how to use them yet. I do have the programmer for the PICs from here at SparkFun. I searched the web for some type of simple hello world type program/schematic for the project basis but couldn't find anything.

Now, I know some of you are saying, "You gotta learn this for yourself" and normally I would agree but to do so would have me miss this and possibly next field day with my idea. ;)

Here's the idea I had, CallSign, Name, QTH scrolling endlessly. Seemed pretty simple of an idea but hard for me to figure out.

Now, In addition to my appreciation, I will print out the reply and hand it out to anyone that questions the project creation with full credit and praise going to you.

If you take this on, I'll need a simple schematic of how to hook the contraption up and a listing of the code to make it work. I have the Microlab IDE so I can generate HEX from the ASM.