SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By brainwav
Hi, I find my self having problems when I have to write software for communication protocols. I was wondering if anyone had any tutorials or tips for writing such things. The language would be C. I was trying to write one for an RFID module that we use here at work. They lay out the comms in the manual, but don't give any source code. It says stuff like, the master sends the slave 2 bytes, and listens for and answer, which is a good answer or an error, or no message. I'm just using a finite state machine, but maybe there's better ways of doing it with extra functions for ACK and NACK.

Me.
By stevech
read up on
IEEE standards like 802.15.4 (active RFID if you will)
ISO 18000 "THE" RFID standards family

Basic wireless communications
bandwidth
modulation methods
error detection
error correction
forward error correction
Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC)

and on and on,

Gotta learn the fundamentals before coding. Coding is 20% of the design problem in all projects.
By brainwav
I guess, I didn't ask the question correctly. I'm just wondering about the programming side of things. We already use a solution to read/write RFID tags, but still need to communicate with it with our processor. They lay out the way to communicate with their module in their manual. I looking for some sample about writing proper code for something like this. Maybe I should search for source codes for I2C and ethernet stacks and see how they handle the programming.

Denis.