SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By kkjensen
Hi there,

I'm just getting to the point that I can hold my own with the circuit design and am trying to start making my own PCBs. I don't really know where else to look or who else to ask so any links or suggestios would be of great help.

I have etched a few boards (toner transfer methods) but drilling all the holes for the DIP and through-hole components is a nightmare and I'm going to lose the family fortune to replacing drill bits.

SO...I'd like to start using SMD devices to avoid the holes. I need all the regular components to get basic PIC circuits up and running. Are there any websites that sell "SMD for digital circuits start-up kits" of some sort?

I have found one for solder paste: http://www.smtsolderpaste.com

I would like to know what size of SMD components are the easiest to solder by hand (not using paste & reflowing). I'm not into it for the mass production...I'm just trying to avoid holes, save space and weight and be able to populate 2 sides of a board.

Also, if anyone knows of any other forums or spots where this has already been discussed, a link would be greatly appreciated.
By Philba
it's much easier than you think.

When I first started out with SMDs, I thought, like you, that a kit would be a good idea. But i found that just building a simple project with some SMDs was all I needed. You will get up to speed very fast. Even my fading eyesight and shakey hands weren't that much of a challenge...

start out with SOICs, 1206 Rs & Cs. They are pretty big and easy to solder by hand. You can also mix TH and SMD all you want. don't bother with paste at first. get familiar with the simple stuff and then you can move to more complex stuff.
By riden
I've just started working with SMD this year, and I built about six SMD projects - two of them were double sided boards with SMD parts on both sides. I started out hand soldering but soon switched to using a coffee mug warmer and hot air gun combination with solder paste. Works very, very well. My eyesight and hand coordination arent the best, but I did manage to succesfuly assemble the projects quickly. It sure was nice to have the half dozen chips, and 25-30 SMD caps and resistors reflow all at once.

In any case, don't forget the solder wick! You don't need much solder with these parts. I had no problems with SOIC parts, but the SSOP ones were giving me fits. Nothing that a little quality solder wick couldn't fix though.

Have fun!
By Philba
the finer pitch ICs reflow much better if you have a solder mask. with all the solder melted, surface tension causes the chip to align automatically. alas, it is not a simple matter to do a soldermask on a homemade board..