SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Ross Robotics
I am new to the electronic world and need some advise. I have the MP3 Trigger and an 8 Ohm .25 Watt speaker. Should this speaker produce sound without an amp? If I need an Amp, would this be sufficientMono Audio Amp Breakout?

I also would like to control the triggering with an Arduino Uno. I have read a lot of threads and the manual for the correct wiring to the Arduino. Right now this is how I have connected it:
Gnd - Gnd on the trigger
5v - USBVcc on trigger
TX Pin - RX on trigger

How would I connect the trigger pins to the Arduino? Which pin on the trigger should I connect to an Arduino pin?

I should mention that I do not have the trigger pin connected to Arduino so I can make sure that the MP3 Trigger works.

Below is the code I am running for testing purposes.
Code: Select all
#include <MP3Trigger.h>
MP3Trigger trigger;

void setup() {
  // Start serial communication with the trigger (over Serial)
  trigger.setup(&Serial);
  Serial.begin( MP3Trigger::serialRate() );
  // Start looping TRACK001.MP3
  trigger.setLooping(true,1);

}

void loop() {
  // process signals from the trigger
  trigger.update();
}
I also have the tracks on the MP3 Trigger named 001...mp3, 002.....mp3, etc..
Should the name be 8.3 naming? My file names are not exactly 8 characters..

Sorry the lack of knowledge and Thank you for any advise.
By Ross Robotics
Bump for any advice...
By Ross Robotics
Is there a reason no one as responded?
By russdx
never used this before but it looks like your talking to your mp3 trigger board using serial uart? so probably need to use the rx/tx pins

but if its some sort of software serial library you can use what ever 2 io pins you want :)
By Ross Robotics
Thanks for the reply. I did manage to get sound out of it with the amp I mentioned manually using the onboard track selection. I am going to see if i can get the triggers to work now.
By Ross Robotics
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11029

I am not a coder by any means and I am having trouble finding relevant code to use the onboard triggers. I am eventually going to use Speakjet's voice recognition to trigger the MP3 Trigger. But would like to trigger them by manually inputing them into the serial monitor fort he time being. Looks like I am going to have to write my own code for this. When I do get the triggers working, I will post the code here.
By Ross Robotics
What a waste. All it does is click now. I will have to find another player..