SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By emaayan
let's say that SWIM (Someone Who Isn't Me) has some really annoying neighbors across the street playing some REALLY loud music (like stadium loud, with stadium speakers), SWIM can't call the cops cause the law says they can play it up to 23:00. but SWIM is really annoyed hearing this crap on 22:00.

so SWIM, thought of maybe building a directional speaker who could emit an extremely focused high frequency sound that would cause said neighbor's nose to bleed and maybe pass out, (or at least give'm a good headache).

SWIM heard of a similar device being deployed against protesters as non-lethal crowed control weapon, (maybe LRAD), but is unsure.
By jremington
Do you happen to know if SWIM has asked the neighbor to turn the music down?
I've heard some horror stories about escalating, across the street audio battles.
By chartle
Yes there are systems that police and the military have for crowd control that use directional speakers. They don't make anyone pass out or their nose bleed or even mess their pants (Mythbusters "Brown Note"). They are just annoying.

Your SWIM must also realize that if there was one that worked that way he would be charged with assault not just disturbing the piece.
Last edited by chartle on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Philba
If it really is as loud as SWIY says, the 11PM noise ordinance probably has a maximum level associated with it.

Of course, you could always build a Home EMP Canon and fry their circuits. Good luck with that.
By Mee_n_Mac
You've heard of noise cancelling headsets. Can you make a noise-cancelling house-wide audio system ?
By BrianS
Long time ago there were problems with EMI interference from CitizenBand radios. I use to have one in my house with an outdoor 1/2 wave antenna attached to the roof. Whenever I would talk on the radio I would come across people's stereos, telephones, and television sets on my street. Now if someone got hold of a cheap CB radio and say a 100 watt linear rf amplifier designed for the 11 meter band I am sure they would be able to cause so much interference that it would make their neighbors stereo completely unuseable. Just a thought.
By emaayan
Swim need something directional so it wont mess with other houses and small maybe telescope size to be undetected
By skimask
I'd send 'em a box of chocolate treats as a gift...ya know, the ol' Ex-Lax treats...
By Philba
emaayan wrote:Emp canon?
electro magnet pulse canon. You need a quantum thermonuclear device with 2.3 gigaTesla focusing ring to direct and accelerate the pulse in the right direction. You might want to evacuate the people living behind them, though.
By skimask
Philba wrote:electro magnet pulse canon. You need a quantum thermonuclear device with 2.3 gigaTesla focusing ring to direct and accelerate the pulse in the right direction. You might want to evacuate the people living behind them, though.
I think if you'd fit an EMP cannon with a back end retro-encabulator, you won't have to worry about the people behind them.