SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By chartle
Ok not sure if this is a good place to post here or if there is a better site but, here is a little project I've been working on and off for over a year.

I'm trying to build a wearable time lapse camera built around a 808 "keychain spy camera" like this.

I first started to use a 555 and a reed relay to control it but since then I have caught the Arduino bug and it works much better because since the camera shuts down after 50 seconds or so I can also switch it back on before I take the shot.

So here is my plan I got some attiny85s here since I only need a few outputs and I love the small size. That goes on small PCB that only needs a few resistors and transistors, two each and maybe an external crystal if I can figure out "fuses" :think: . The whole thing, camera and circuit, is powered by a recycled cellphone 1000 mah camera LiPo.

Here is my dilemma. I want to wear this thing and make movies of like an entire day at Walt Disney World in like 3 minutes. My thought is to make two halves to this project, one is the circuit and battery and one the camera. I have already soldered in some thin wires to the camera at the switch and power locations and plan on using some sort of 4 conductor plug between the two. Making it two parts means I can use the circuit for more than one camera. The issue is I need some sort of unobtrusive case for the camera.

Here is the guts of the camera.

The lens points out the top of the fob so it would be weird to have something pointing out of my body. The lens is on a thin ribbon cable so it could be parallel to the body but now it sticks out the top, it will also be shooting upside down but I can fix that in editing.

So does anybody have any good ideas on how I could pull this off. In a perfect world I would un-solder the ribbon cable and have that on a wire(kipkay did it for his snealy snake spy cam) to make it less conspicuous. I could just get the Flyone camera here but I've already spend too much on this as it is.
By fll-freak
I would not recommend unsoldering the flex unless you are a master solderer and have the right equipment. I consider myself a good solderer, but I do not attempt to work with flexes. I leave that to the pros at work.

I do like your idea of moving the camera at 90 degrees from it current orientation. You could than have the lens at the top of something like a pack of cigarettes/gum in your shirt pocket. If you wanted, you could design a matching case and have it printed in plastic
By Philba
There are lots of other "spy cams" out there. There is a pen version that can sit in a pocket and take pictures looking forward. I took one apart and the module itself is about 2" long by 1/2" wide.
By chartle
fll-freak wrote:I would not recommend unsoldering the flex unless you are a master solderer and have the right equipment. I consider myself a good solderer, but I do not attempt to work with flexes. I leave that to the pros at work.

I do like your idea of moving the camera at 90 degrees from it current orientation. You could than have the lens at the top of something like a pack of cigarettes/gum in your shirt pocket. If you wanted, you could design a matching case and have it printed in plastic
My thought was to clip the camera part to the strap of a back pack and he controller and battery would stay in the backpack.
Last edited by chartle on Mon May 14, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By chartle
Philba wrote:There are lots of other "spy cams" out there. There is a pen version that can sit in a pocket and take pictures looking forward. I took one apart and the module itself is about 2" long by 1/2" wide.
I've seen them its just I already have bought too much stuff already and would like to use what I have.
By rachelstinson07
Hey,
Why get stuck in such a fuzz of dismounting this cam and then making it less conspicuous?
I have also been in such a situation a few weeks ago where I wanted to record whats going around me without anyone knowing. After trying out different products and looking for user reviews so, I got to know about the Newton HD 1080p Rugged Body Cam with Smartphone Live Stream WIFI and IR Night Vision by Zetronix.
It just solved my problem in a bit. This cam comes with a pocket/belt clip that can clip on to a pocket, belt or even a purse. This body cam records instantly with a push of button and video can be recorded into a memory card up to 20 ft away from the body cam.
I would suggest you use this cam and carry on your work in less time and also with being less conspicuous.
You can get this cam from Zetronix Online Store :

https://www.zetronix.com/newton-hd-1080 ... ision.html