SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Piltdown Man
I know the subject doesn't tell a whole lot, but this is a rather strange and complex project. My initial idea was fairly simple. I perform at a local event called Latop Deathmatch, where one is allowed one external device (read: midi controller) to play. There are other rules, but none that pertain here. My idea is as such:

I would like to buy a lab coat, connect metal panels to it, connect metal panels to a pair of gloves, and run them into a microcontroller that detects which are connected to which and sends out appropriate midi events. This is pretty simple (though I'm going to have to learn how to do it as I go). I can etch boards, but have never programmed a mc before. I don't foresee it being particularly difficult, though, for a project of such stunning simplicity.

My second idea is to make a glove that detects a working space and makes a set of virtual midi-responsive pads in the air using an accelerometer that does two things. First, it would detect a point of inflection if the curve normal to the hand. Second, it would measure where it is on a plane parallel to the hand by comparing an accumulated result from an accelerometer with a position since the last such measurement. Once it figured out which point on the plane it was at it would send out a midi event based on which area of the plane the measurement fell on, with a velocity control sent by the maximum acceleration reached normal to the hand. By resetting the accumulator with each measurement I hope to avoid cumulative error. I seem to remember some toys in the eighties that did this.

The problem with all this arises from the fact that I have no idea what in god's name I'm doing. I've taken a course in rudimentary electronics and have not yet taken a course in microcontrollers in uni, but would like very much to learn. Any guidance, suggestions, or ideas are much appreciated. Any books I should read? Any comments on preliminary brainstorming? Thanks very much for your time and comments.
By wiml
The Flying Karamazov Brothers did something like that a few shows ago. I thought it was pretty cool. Some of the hardware was pretty involved, since they went to a lot of trouble not to "cheat" on the implementation; that is, it was doing what it looked like it was doing.

The first thing you describe sounds like a good starting project. MIDI's just async serial really.
By brennen
Back when I was first starting with MIDI stuff, this site really helped me out - http://www.ucapps.de. They use PIC 18F452 micros and have a lot of DIY help.
By Kuroi Kenjin
Nice, MIDI over USB. I've wondered about that. If windows can interpret it or if I'd need a special driver. Now I can read and findout... thanks!