SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By stevech
As I understand things.. a patent is protecting a method made evident by a proof such as a working prototype of the principle. Today, the patent office seems to (slowly) grant most all patent applications and leave it to the patent holders to fight it out in court (who has the most lawyer money).

Copyright is a different matter. The firmware or PCB artwork may have a copyright. It's something that was authored/created and exists in some media form.

So you'll have to look at the specifics on what claims there are on the items you plan to use. E.g., if it's a SparkFun PC board they may have copyright claims on the artwork, or not. If there are 3rd party items on the PCB, such as a microprocessor with firmware, there may be license grant issues.

And don't overlook regulatory things, esp. if the item uses Wireless or operates on mains power where fire codes and safety certifications (like UL) might apply else you can't get product liability insurance.

And so on.

GIven the nature of SFE, maybe your item is low volume and can be sold as a "kit" where you can duck liabilities to some extent, but not copyrights and licenses.
By KeithB
It would have to be an extremely novel use of the modules. For example, if you created a new CDMA scheme and used sparkfun modules to implement it, you would be OK. If you are just connecting modules in an obvious way, then I fail to see how your idea is patentable. (Of course, IANAL, and if you are not in the US you need to find out the procedures in your country.)
By Comrad_Durandal
I've always imagined that when using Sparkfun products - they are 'building blocks' to rapidly prototype something together. Once you have a rough working prototype, it's up to you to design a custom product using a PCB designer, a listing of the raw components, and the know-how of how it all works together you got from plugging and programming. Your 'refined' prototype is most-certainly able to be protected by copyright, patent, whatever. It's the beauty of open source hardware.

However, slapping a bunch of shields to an Arduino does not a creative, original product make - the function, perhaps, the hardware - no.
By negado
but by buying an object does not get rights? for example by making a control circuit with a PIC I do not owe anything to microchip with SparkFun not true?
The idea is to use directly the modules, interconnect and add a plate designed by me. if this were the case I could SparkFun sue me? or attempt to obtain royalties for my product?
My intention is not to say that the modules were designed and built by me, just to design a product with these and sell them at a store without running the risk of someone stealing my design
By AndyC_772
As I understand it...

You can't patent a specific product as such. What you can patent is a new, novel idea or method for achieving some useful result, and your product is an embodiment of that idea. A patent application has to include specific details of how the desired result is achieved, and normally you would be expected to have built a working, demonstrable prototype of your invention to prove that it works. The patent protection covers the basic principle of operation, not the specific, individual product.

This is a good thing because it means an inventor can produce a whole range of products based on a patentable idea, and doesn't have to apply to protect each one individually. It also means a properly worded patent will protect you from a competitor who may do all their own development work from scratch and come up with a completely new product (ie. one which doesn't actually copy any individual components of yours), but which nevertheless works in the way you originally thought of and patented.

So, for example:

- you can't patent, say, "a machine for travelling back in time", because you'd need to give specific details of how it would actually be achieved.

- you also can't patent something which is obvious. This is a bit subjective, but the basic principle is that you need have have actually had an original idea with some merit, and which actually deserves protection.

- nor can you patent something which has been done before ("prior art" is the term used). It has to be novel. So you can't patent the wheel, even if you do design a new one. (Your particular design could, however, be covered by copyright - so you'd have a case against someone manufacturing identical copies of your wheel). Note: this is why it's so important NOT to publish any details of what you have in mind before the patent is applied for. If you need to tell anyone about it, make sure you're protected by a non-disclosure agreement. Whatever you do, don't post details here!

- you could, however, patent a method for travelling back in time using wheels - provided, of course, that you discover a way to do it. It's not been done before, so you're OK on that front, but you'd have to be able to explain in deep technical detail exactly how you achieve time travel using wheels, and you'd need to have built a working prototype which works in the way you've described. Get the patent right and your invention would be protected; nobody could legally come along and produce an identical copy of your product, nor could they build their own time travel machine which used wheels in the way you've described. Another company could, however, build a time travel machine which used high voltage arcs to achieve the end result instead, and did not use wheels.

So: whether or not you can get patent protection depends on what kind of product you have in mind. If you plan on using pre-assembled modules as building blocks for your product, that's OK provided that what you're actually building uses them in a novel way. You don't gain any rights over the design of the module when you buy it, but you can protect the way in which you use the module.
By Mee_n_Mac
AndyC_772 wrote: - you also can't patent something which is obvious. This is a bit subjective, but the basic principle is that you need have have actually had an original idea with some merit, and which actually deserves protection.

- nor can you patent something which has been done before ("prior art" is the term used). It has to be novel.
I think Apple might take exception with the above. :shock: :mrgreen: