SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Z.K.
I could not find a general question section so I thought this question would best fit here.

I was wondering if anyone knows if any breadboard manufacturer makes a larger than the standard breadboard? I am not talking about just putting extra sections together. The standard one has five rows or columns of tie points on either side of the center channel. I was wondering if any manufacturer makes one with say 10 rows or columns of ties points on either side of the center channel. I have an over sized component that just barely fits and does not leave enough room for breadboard wires. I could use single row sockets, but that does not really work that well. My only option at this point is to make my own from a protoboard which I probably will do, but I was wondering if any manufacturer of breadboards might actually make such a breadboard.

:?:
By lyndon
I've never seen a breadboard like that but Aries makes/used to make adapters that could take an IC vertically so they would take up no more room than the standard 0.3" DIP

Like this: http://www.arieselec.com/Web_Data_Sheet ... /12030.htm but with the IC vertical. Digikey carries them. I don't have time to look through the site for the exact part I remember.
By esklar81
Z.K.,

Why not just "widen" the center channel so that the pins of your device fall in the holes closes to center?

It appears to me you could do this by cutting the board along the channel, then spacing the segments as needed.

Alternatively, if you placed two segments such as these next to each other, you could have the large component straddling the central power rails. If you have other DIPs to connect, that's probably a better approach.

Eric
By rmteo1
Could you use standard breadboards in this manner?

By Z.K.
Thanks for the responses. I did not actually think about doing it that way. Maybe next time. I went ahead and made a little socket board on a small proto board.