SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Johan v. Althuis
Hello board users, :)

First time i'm here so, let me introduce myself.
Currently i have an internship at neways in the netherlands.
I am having a project where i have to use the RF module CC2510 of chipcon.
In the datasheet ther is said that i have to program the chip through JTAG.
I never worked with JTAG nor programmed through it.

Does anybody know how to program this chip or how to make myself a programmer?
By samlittlewood
I have only used the CC2500, but have been looking to switch to the CC2510 . My understanding of the programming routes available are:

1) Spring for the dev. kit.

2) Write a parallel port bit banger to drive the debug interface as documented in the data sheet. It a 2 wire - clock & bidirerctional data interface (not JTAG) that lets you halt, step and insert insns. Use this to write copy over the flash programming code to RAM, and then send over blocks of the hex file.

3) Use the DevKit docs/schematics to make a board with only the necessary parts of the dev kit such that SmartRF Studio, and the Chipcon supplied flash programming application will work.

My choices are:

1) Can't justify the expense

2) A lot of work in a direction I don't want to be going (but it is tempting - a useful utility for the community as a result - I just know there are going to be omissions & eratta that will make things painful)

3) Looks very possible - I think you would just need an SiLabs C8051F320, passives, and connectors. Chipcon supply the HEX file for the 'F320. I am already using this part elsewhere in my project, so have the programmer & tools for it.

TTFN

SamL
By Johan v. Althuis
Purchasing the devkit is no option, way to expensive ($480)
The programmer they use in smart RF studio cost almost $54.
But i cannot findout which pins too use :S
By RonnyM
I won't be much help, other than to tell you I am salivating over the CC1110 coming out in July(400-900MHz version). I have been using the CC1100 which has no program memory or RAM but it is a high quality device. If you haven't dealt with the 2500, I'd suggest you start there. Get familiar with the registers and performance prior to getting into the complications of an on board 8051.

Next...There is a suggested compiler on Chipcon's website. The full blown version is about $2500.-, but, there is a trial version for free. Maybe you could give that a try.
By samlittlewood
Johan v. Althuis wrote:... But i cannot findout which pins too use :S
Have you looked at the schematics in the user guide for the devkit (downloadable from www.chipcon.com)

SamL
By samlittlewood
RonnyM wrote:.... If you haven't dealt with the 2500, I'd suggest you start there.
I agree - and you can get parts right now.
RonnyM wrote:Next...There is a suggested compiler on Chipcon's website. The full blown version is about $2500.-, but, there is a trial version for free. Maybe you could give that a try.
SDCC is a pretty good free compiler - sdcc.sourceforge.net.

SamL