SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By scampa
Can someone help me understand the schematic in this datasheet http://products.cui.com/getPDF.aspx?fileID=1761?

It's for a barrel jack that has a switch in it. I'm trying to understand how it would wire up.

I am trying to do the same thing with two different connectors: audio jack and power jack...

I'd basically like it to "switch" based on if something is plugged in...

So for audio: switch from sound out from speakers to sound via headphone jack....(headphone jack with a switch)

for Power: switch from charging the battery (when plug plugged into jack), to powering device (no jack plugged in)...(power jack with switch).....

Am I approaching this right??? Thanks!!
By esklar81
scampa,

It looks to me that:
a) when nothing is plugged in, pins 1 and 2 are not connected and pins 3 and 4 are connected to each other and
b) when the correct plug is inserted, pin 1 is connected to the center of the plug, pins 2 and 4 are connected to the outside of the plug, and pin 3 is not connected.

That said, I strongly encourage you to get an ohmmeter or a continuity tester and check the behavior.

I leave to you the task of figuring out how to incorporate this in whatever you're building.

Have Fun,
Eric
By scampa
Hi Eric,

I did just that. I bought a few components and simply used my multimeter and did a continuity check to figure it out. In hindsight I could have learned more had I referred to the schematic while doing it!

Thanks!