SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
Hi guys,

I’m a graduate student in electronics. Throughout my school years I have never made my hands dirty with any project(everything was merely theory). Right now, I feel that my understanding of embedded systems is very low and i'm ashamed of myself in front of people specially my husband. I would like to do a project (preferably in Comm.) that has software/hardware assignments. But I don’t know where to look for. I don’t know if I should buy a KIT or a development board and where and which. I just read something in Wikipedia in regard to DIY and sparkfun & Arduino boards and came across your forum.
I looked at DIY projects, but some of them are just schematics, and don’t mention where to buy each discrete element (e.x. Resistor 45 ohm from EBAY?).then in sparkfun i saw different products but if i buy any of them where are the instructions what to do with?

1-Could you please guide me what should I buy to begin my first project at home (just have a pc)?
2-Is there any book/ on-line project that goes from hardware (FPGA or any board for example) to software (developing a driver) that I can follow to earn practical skills and knowledge?

3-Is there any website or a magazine or a forum which tells you what to buy and then accompany you through the whole project?

I have a vague idea, but look for a board that needs some basic programming. Thanks for your recommendations :)

Regarding my skills:
C programming, ARM, a bit VERILOG
mitra,

Welcome!

If you are looking for a structured introduction to embedded systems, I suggest you consider the SparkFun Inventor's Kit, which contains parts and instructions for a dozen circuits, as well as breadboard on which to assemble things, so you don't need to start soldering yet.

Your level of theoretical understanding is probably much higher than the kit tries to teach, but it should be a good start at working with real hardware.

Arduino has its own IDE and, effectively, language. The language is derived from C, though, so it shouldn't present too much difficulty to you.

Once you work your way through that, you will probably be ready to approach learning from the other end, that is, pick something you would like an assembly to do, then design and build it.

You have already found your way here, so look through the SparkFun fora and get a feel for what folks here are making.

If you have difficulty or questions, just post them here. There are quite a few of us with quite a bit of experience and we're usually willing and able to help newcomers, as long as you are making an effort to learn.

Have Fun,
Eric

PS: Your engineering school should be ashamed of itself if it doesn't require working with real hardware.
By killersquirel11
I agree with all of the above.
I would also suggest looking up a Hackerspace (aka makerspace, hack lab, creative space). These places typically have a decent amount of electronics equipment, and people who are fairly enthusiastic about electronics. Most are VERY open to new members, no matter what experience they have.

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_ALL_Hacker_Spaces

As a source for parts, I use a combination of Sparkfun, eBay, amazon, digikey, and mouser. Digikey and mouser tend to be the best source for discrete components, Sparkfun tends to be the best source for boards, especially in terms of support, eBay is best for when you need large quantities of cheap items (i.e. 100 white LEDs, 100 RJ45 Headers, etc), and Amazon is Amazon, it is sometimes a better deal for certain things.
Thanks a lot both of you for your guidance

I'm gonna buy this kit from sparkfun (I searched in ebay & craigslist to find a better deal for it, but couldn't find).

Do you have an idea about a book? Have you ever used a book along with a board that was considered a great book?

Thanks,

Mitra
By Sheepdog
It was for people like you that I wrote the pages at my Arduino site...

http://sheepdogguides.com/arduino/artut.htm

I hope they will get you up and running with minimum early learning curve woe.

I like the Arduino because of the great community behind it. There have been other, similar, fun things over the years, but none has taken off like the Arduino.