SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By tetsujin
I got myself a portable synthesizer with a non-backlit LCD display and I'd like to fit a light to it... So I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

I looked into swapping out the LCD for a backlit type - but the display is a discontinued Optrex display... I don't know if there's a pin-compatible replacement out there that has a backlight. It's a serial display (meaning it has a clocked serial line and it updates one pixel on each serial clock - not like the "serial displays" on Sparkfun, which take commands over an RS-232 connection) - it might be possible to program a microcontroller to read the display data and push it to another display module, but a lot depends on how fast the synthesizer is actually driving the display. (The spec'ed top speed for the display is around 250ns per pixel - 4MHz pixel rate - which means to reliably get both the rising and falling transitions of the clock line, I'd need to sample at 16MHz... I think an AVR running at 16MHz can do this, but I can't remember. I know 16F-series PICs would have to be run at a higher clock rate in order to sample at 16MHz...)

I've also heard of adding a backlight by removing the reflective backing of the display. That's a bit scary, of course - if the mod didn't work out, I guess the display, and therefore the synth, would be ruined. And if the backlight is off, would I be able to read the display? (Maybe I can find a cheap LCD in my stash and test this out...)

Then there's less-invasive methods, like side-lighting or front-lighting. I think I'd be happy with these methods if I can get them to work nicely... There's a couple open points on the sides of the display through which I could shine in some LED light - but it'd be better if I could get light in through multiple points, get a better distribution over the surface of the display. But I don't know what it'd take to actually do that... Cutting additional holes in the metal frame of the LCD? I'm not even sure what that would take... Then there's front-lighting, which is kind of the same deal but with a light guide. I did this with my Game Boy Advance long ago using the old Afterburner kit (good times! Though I screwed up the installation the second time I did it...) - I don't know if there's physical space in there for the addition of a light-guide, or even where one would get a light guide.

An EL strip behind the display would probably be ideal for a nice uniform glow, though I am a bit wary of the possibility of the inverter generating RFI in there and messing up the sound. (And there's the question of what happens to the display if I remove the reflective layer...) LED might be less ideal from a visibility standpoint, but easier to implement...

Hm, I don't know. Thoughts?
By tetsujin
Well, I guess I found some good information on this. It occurred to me that probably a non-backlit device popular among engineers would be a popular subject for this sort of upgrade, so I searched for pages about backlight upgrades to the HP48 calculator. That led me to a page about retrofitting other HP devices with backlights:

http://www.hermocom.com/knowledgebase/hplx/backlight

The instructions there involve removing the screen's foil backing and replacing it with a clear sheet - so I guess if I go the EL route (and that is looking the most attractive to me at the moment)

Of course, they did some experimentation to find the best type of clear sheet to use, to retain the screen's contrast when the backlight is off... It may be worth finding out more about that. I think the point of the added clear layer was to deal with the adhesive applied to the polarizing filter, producing a clean, consistent entry layer for the backlight. On screens where the adhesive stays on the reflective layer, I guess the clear layer isn't required (since the polarized filter isn't going to stick to the backlight.)
By antony0619
I would rather DIY a front light for my game boys than buy a new one.it's much cheaper and I enjoy the processing of DIY.

I found some front light panels for game boys in aliexpress.com It's a 4-LED front panel. White LED and I put in front of the game boy LCD. it works perfect.

You can see my DIY Game boys below.

Here is the store link http://www.aliexpress.com/store/406029