SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By neededandwanted
microphone -> preamp -> arduino mega -> SD card (shield)

Has anyone done this with decent fidelity?

What sort of bandwidth might be possible for the recording? Would it me impractical for me to try and get a single channel of CD-quality (or better) audio captured and stored on the SD card as .wav files?
By neededandwanted
What if I did the analog to digital conversion outside of the mega? Could I just deliver the digital stream to it and have it do file handling or something?

Or, how might I go about making a digital recorder here?
By KeithB
What is special about your project that requires something other than a digital cam-corder or a zoom? (Or a MD recorder, if those still exist.)

We need to know the environment: Inside? Outside? Battery powered? water-proof?

We need more details: How long do you need to record? Do you need it to make multiple recordings?
By neededandwanted
KeithB wrote:What is special about your project that requires something other than a digital cam-corder or a zoom? (Or a MD recorder, if those still exist.)

We need to know the environment: Inside? Outside? Battery powered? water-proof?

We need more details: How long do you need to record? Do you need it to make multiple recordings?
Of course I could use an entirely different device like a camcorder. Or a very similar device like a Zoom H4n or something. Yes, battery powered, but I don't see a lot of mains AC projects here, so assume battery powered use. Indoors, Outdoors, Water-Proof --- not sure if my component selection will really need to factor those in. I am not looking for someone to design an enclosure for me or anything here.

Multiple recordings, yes. Not at the same time. I plan on coding all of the file handling for the SD card though. I want the recording time to be limited only by the capacity of the SD card.
By whizzer
Hey! Did you ever solve this issue?
I have a similar project in mind. Unfortunately the Spark A/D breakout is no longer available.
Do you know of anything similar.
Thanks so very much ahead of time for any help/ideas that you can send along.