SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By lordulrich
I am starting to explore electronics, but am a bit overwhelmed on where to start. For the time being I am starting on design of a automated brewing system (for my home brewery). I know there are a few systems available commercially but where is the fun in that.

The biggest challenge i am facing is I need some method to communicate recipe information from my computer to the controller (not sure what i am using for this yet, i am thinking ardunio or picaxe, although i am exploring both pic and avr) and log data (about 7 sensors ever few seconds) back to the computer. A direct connection is not an option, as the brew system is outside and in a "wash-down" environment I don't want my computer in, I was looking at usb stick or SD card, but am a bit overwhelmed by the options, and frankly a bit confused as to which is easier. What is going to be the most reliable, low cost option. Is there some other idea I am missing?.

Thank you in advance.
By lyndon
First, why transfer anything? Use the picaxe/arduino to gather data and do I/O and just let the computer do the control.

The simplest way is to mount the electronics in a NEMA4X enclosure (http://www.nemacotech.com/nema-definitions-list.html) You can use gland seals (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 77-1631-ND) to maintain the rating for any cable that has to pass through the enclosure.
By Mee_n_Mac
I'm not sure I understand the process needed. I understand the recipe(s) reside on the PC. That the recipe then calls for certain brewing instructions to be followed, that being the job of the local controller. Are the sensor readings just to log what happened to be reviewed long after the fact or are they to be used for real-time control of the brewing process ? Do you wish to review the brewing process as it's happening ? Depending on the controller and sensors I think you could just put the control instructions and logged data on an SD card and sneakernet them back and forth. That's probably the easiest thing to do if it's the former. Using a USB stick isn't really any different. If it's the latter then some wired or wireless link would save you all the wear and tear on your sneakers, though perhaps some alerts (visible, audible) would suffice to let the controller let you know something beyond it's capabilities or outside of some normal limits was occuring. It depends on the reason you're collecting the sensor data.
By lordulrich
Relly what i am looking for is to prepare the recipes on my pc, and then store them locally some how at the brewing system. The sensors will be primary used as inputs to PID loops and fuzzy logic control loops on the microcontroller. The purpose of logging the sensor input is 2 fold, first for tuning of PID loops and second for diagnosis if something went wrong. I have no problem manually transferring something like a SD card back and forth manually, I need to deal with much worse things manually anyway (like spent grain).
I guess my biggest problem is i have no idea where to start designing or coding this system, is USB or SD a better place, or is some other method better. I am really hoping to limit my pc's involvement in the whole process if possible.