SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Kamiquasi
Considering we'll be using these, I thought I'd make some Eagle parts for the Circular LED Bargraph that SparkFun now carries (1). Only later did I think to check the SparkFun Eagle library (2), which already has it. Go figure.

On the up side, the library I put together contains parts for all of the variants that Top-Up Industry Corp carries(3), adds component restrictions(4) and some alignment hole-less variants(5) and I think has the correct pad layout (6) .. and a more symmetrical schematic (7) ;)
led-ccl.zip
1) http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10595
2) http://www.opencircuits.com/SFE_Footprint_Library_Eagle
3) http://top-up.so-buy.com/front/bin/cgli ... ory=325007

4) For those using component placement, the LED-CCL-A is a fairly big package with plenty of area where you can't place anything else on the top, and of course on the bottom if you use the alignment tabs and implied holes.

5) The alignment holes are for very stringent placement requirements. If you won't be using them, no need to have the (auto)router work around those holes. Hence the inclusion of hole-less versions.

6) As anybody making packages will tell you, going by the manufacturer's datasheet alone is not enough. You really should test against the actual product. While I haven't done so, I did notice a discrepancy between the various variations; in LED-CCL-A, one part (bottom center) of the diagram states the 'vertical' distance between pins as 25.5mm, while another part (top left) states 26.4mm. In the datasheets for LED-CCL-AB, LED-CCL-M and LED-CCL-MB, the bottom-center diagram does also state 26.4mm. Given the 'horizontal' distance is 26.4mm, this seemed like the appropriate value. If you inspect the SparkFun package, the inner pins are slightly inside of the physical (plastic) package, rather than slightly outside. The difference 0.9mm makes. This probably doesn't matter in practice as the drill holes for the pins are 1.2mm diameter. It's still a good idea to inspect datasheets even across variations, however, as the *B variant has a very slightly smaller inner diameter.

7) Arraying elements in Eagle is hard. Go ULP!

Of course it's entirely possible I did mess something up. If so, point it out and I'll fix it.

2011/08/17: LED-CCL-MB had incorrect label in package.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By k_san88
Hi. Thanks for your effort. Are you ordering a batch of PCBs for this product? Not sure if SF is going to do a run so I am considering doing it myself but numbers are too small. Lets batch up if others are interested too. Thanks
By Kamiquasi
Maybe at some point, but for now we've ordered 5 of the Circular LED Bargraphs for testing purposes. That means breadboard -> protoboard. If the protoboards work well enough, there's no need for us to get any PCBs made until we'd want more units, at which point we might as well.

What sort of board were you thinking of 'group ordering', though? SFE will apparently be coming out with a breakout board pretty soon (with the rotary encoder, probably) and any other board design is likely to be special purpose? I.e. a board I'd use it on wouldn't typically be a board you'd use? :)
By k_san88
A breakout board with the rotary encoder is all I need at this point. I just need what SFE posted a photo of but I have no idea when & if they will release that breakout board so I am thinking of biting the bullet and getting mine done. For now I am doing exactly what you're doing with breadboard prototyping...