SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By evanrich
Finished building my project today, minus battery, and tried to program it using my usbtiny ISP (from adafruit). I first tried programming it using the 5v from the usb (using the jumper) but i got an error as if the chip couldn't be talked to. I then tried plugging in my usb connector and jumping the 5v directly to my mega328p chip. This worked and I was able to program the chip.

I placed an order for a 2000mah battery from here (thats what I designed my project to use) but had a question. I've got the following IC's in my system, and wondering if they might be drawing too much, and how to fix it:

Bluegiga WT-12 bluetooth module
3.3->5v boost IC
3.3<->5v level translator
3x LEDs
ATMEL MEGA328P ic

Is there a way that I can isolate the 5v from my programmer directly to the AVR, without having it power everything else on the 5v line? It may be a moot point once the battery arrives, as 2A should be more than enough current to power everything at once, but looking for a solution anyway.
By itikhonov
Put a diode like this:

MCU PIN - programmer connector(5V) --<|-- normal(3V)

This way when you attach 5V there will be no flow to 3V side. Downside is that pins protected this way can't do output HIGH any more. Also diode will drop some voltage so you need to account this. And use schottky diodes for low drop.