SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Yamatsu
Does anyone know how to control the angle (direction) of a laser beam without using mechanical means? Basically I would like to sweep the beam arbitrarily using only small solid state components.

Considering how a laser level from a hardware store is able to create a nice long line without moving parts, I would think something like this exists. I would be interested to know.

Thanks!
By colinb
Laser levels that project a wide beam 50 degrees or so are using some sort of optics to spread the laser (lens or mirror). I have a laser level that projects a cross (vertical line and horizontal line) and it uses two laser diodes, each with a spreader oriented orthogonally to the other. (360 degree laser levels generally use a spinning mirror to sweep the beam rather than spread it.)

If you want to actually sweep the laser (this implies a moving beam) then, depending on your needs (fixed or dynamic control) you might want a simple spinning mirror; for dynamic control you want a galvanometer (aka galvo) for sweeping or X-Y control as used in laser light shows. Check out ChaN's Home Built Laser Projector and in particular the section titled “Building Galvanometer Scanners”.
By Yamatsu
Thanks a lot for the link colinb!

I guess what I was thinking of doesn't exist yet but this will do just fine! Looking at this page gives me inspiration to make a laser projection game system using vector graphics. I had no idea you could get such high frame rates with this method.

Thanks again :)
By NitroxDM
Could you control the beam using a magnetic field? In a CRT the electromagnetic fields cause an electron beam to sweep across a phosphorus screen. Can the same thing be done with the photon stream of the laser? Granted the power required / time investment / cost to make it work are probably beyond the scope of the original post. But could it be done?
By Mee_n_Mac
NitroxDM wrote:
colinb wrote: No. No one has ever bent light by electromagnetic fields.
Oh well. Nice link.

If you want to steer light then you'd need the light equivalent of a phased array (optical phased array). Radars (some) electronically steer their beams this way. You'd need an array of closely spaced separate emitters, all of which can have their phase relationship with each other controlled. Not so easy to do at the hobby level.
By ScottH
Folks do this either with liquid crystal devices or acousto-optical devices.

See here for an overview:

http://www.lci.kent.edu/boslab/projects ... index.html

http://www.bnonlinear.com/papers/LCBeamSteering.pdf

It's relatively expensive. Figure $5k-$20k
Yamatsu wrote:Does anyone know how to control the angle (direction) of a laser beam without using mechanical means? Basically I would like to sweep the beam arbitrarily using only small solid state components.

Considering how a laser level from a hardware store is able to create a nice long line without moving parts, I would think something like this exists. I would be interested to know.

Thanks!
By nickersonm
Edit: ScottH beat me to it while I was writing up my post. That second link is a good overview of LC steering methods.

One of the more common ways to steer lasers nonmechanically, at least in optics labs, is with an AOM. This isn't strictly solid state, as it uses a piezo to create acoustic waves in a transparent crystal material (such as glass). AOMs have pretty much infinite resolution. The downsides are a limited response time and possible distortion when rapidly changing angles, due to the acoustic propagation time in the crystal. They're also relatively expensive for a hobbyist ($1k - $5k+).

There are also a few varieties of beam steering devices using electro-optics - some materials will change their refractive index when an electric field is applied. The basic type is simply an angled interface between the electro-optic material and air. The refracted beam angle will then change very slightly as the refractive index is varied. The angle variation is small, and the devices are usually expensive, which means it would probably not be very useful for you. They're mostly used in optics research.

A somewhat more useful class of electro-optics devices are liquid crystal diffraction gratings. These are pretty much variable diffraction gratings. Liquid crystals have a very high electro-optic response. Using pixels of them at varying refractive indices, you can form arbitrary diffraction gratings, and thus aim your laser. Some brief info is on page 25 of this presentation. They're fast, and presumably not too expensive, although I haven't been able to find commercial products with a quick search. However, the aiming accuracy is limited by the size and number of available pixels.

My favorite beam steering device is a new type, developed by a local company. Vescent Photonics in Denver has this device, which has 80 degrees of beam deflection in a very small package, controlled entirely electronically. I was able to see it in person a few years ago at a demonstration at CU, and it works very well. For an explanation of the details, they have an informative and detailed paper, and a more recent SPIE news article. I have no idea how much one of those devices would cost, as it seems it's still built-to-order, but if you have a big budget and small space it might be worth looking in to. If you do get a quote from them, I'd be interested in hearing the cost.

- nickersonm
By Valen
I've seen some laserbeam designs that have a curved mirror moved by a speaker cone. (which technically speaking is still a mechanical movement) Moving the cone in or out makes the light fall in different spots of the mirror and be deflected in different direction. Getting the light be deflected in a certain direction might become difficult though. Probably won't be a linear response to voltage on the speaker terminals.
By ScottH
Easier to tilt a flat mirror with a speaker driver. Curved optics are expensive.

Another CO company, Left Hand Design, makes very nice fast steering mirrors (FSM).

http://www.lefthand.com/prod_fsm.aspx
Valen wrote:I've seen some laserbeam designs that have a curved mirror moved by a speaker cone. (which technically speaking is still a mechanical movement) Moving the cone in or out makes the light fall in different spots of the mirror and be deflected in different direction. Getting the light be deflected in a certain direction might become difficult though. Probably won't be a linear response to voltage on the speaker terminals.
By Valen
ScottH wrote:Easier to tilt a flat mirror with a speaker driver. Curved optics are expensive.

Another CO company, Left Hand Design, makes very nice fast steering mirrors (FSM).

http://www.lefthand.com/prod_fsm.aspx
Valen wrote:I've seen some laserbeam designs that have a curved mirror moved by a speaker cone. (which technically speaking is still a mechanical movement) Moving the cone in or out makes the light fall in different spots of the mirror and be deflected in different direction. Getting the light be deflected in a certain direction might become difficult though. Probably won't be a linear response to voltage on the speaker terminals.
That is probably a better idea. But the steering angle might be limited. As often happens in these kind of threads, the OP neglects to explain what exactly it is supposed to be for.
By esklar81
colinb wrote:
NitroxDM wrote:Could you control the beam using a magnetic field?
No. No one has ever bent light by electromagnetic fields.
Well... that appears to leave a couple of options:

1) Find a way to charge photons.

2) Develop a compact VFBH (variable field black hole), so you can use gravitational steering conveniently.

If you do either, I suggest you go shop for some cold-weather formal wear. :wink:

Eric