SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By peskywinnets
I'm kicking the idea around for a small product. The PCB...by necessity.....will be forced to go in a very small space. Also, there are 'sensor wires' (two wires) that would need to be routed through rather small holes/channels (dia about 4mm, which is just over 1/8"). To save buyers (I can dream!) having to buy a soldering iron, I want them to be able to simply plug these sensors into the main pcb board. Any 'screw down' type edge connectors on the PCB is a no-no (as from what I've seen, they're all comparitively tallish ...and there's just not enough headroom ...my PCB will be quite slim ...about 4mm including compenents)...so I'm looking for recommendations for the most 'space efficient' yet user frindly manner of doing wire to board .....top tips warmly received.
Hmm, that's tricky. Even something like this is still too big, and it's only 1.5mm pitch. I guess you could look for a very fine pitch right-angle header for the PCB. I recommend never using SMD headers if you can avoid it, as they have a tendency to pull the pads off the PCB when force is applied to them.
Even smaller yet in the through-hole world is the Molex Picoblade series of 1.25mm pitch headers. The right angle version is 3.5mm tall. The vertical version is about 4.2mm tall.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksea ... =WM1746-ND

The problem with connectors like this and the one MichaelN posted is it is very difficult to properly crimp the contacts for the mating plug unless you spend a lot of money on the appropriate crimping tool. That doesn't mean it's impossible, just very very tedious and time consuming. If you are making more than just a couple, you will need to find a company to make your wire harnesses or invest the money in the appropriate tools (unless your time is free).

-Bill
By peskywinnets
phalanx wrote: The problem with connectors like this and the one MichaelN posted is it is very difficult to properly crimp the contacts for the mating plug unless you spend a lot of money on the appropriate crimping tool.
-Bill
Thanks guys....those picoblade look ideal, so I'm gonna buy one of these....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Crimp-Crimpi ... 3cb79f3f77 (not exactly cheap, but not too bad)

...as it looks like it does a good few different crimp types of various manafacturers (I checked out how much Molex want for just one ....eek!)
peskywinnets wrote:
phalanx wrote: The problem with connectors like this and the one MichaelN posted is it is very difficult to properly crimp the contacts for the mating plug unless you spend a lot of money on the appropriate crimping tool.
-Bill
Thanks guys....those picoblade look ideal, so I'm gonna buy one of these....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Crimp-Crimpi ... 3cb79f3f77 (not exactly cheap, but not too bad)

...as it looks like it does a good few different crimp types of various manafacturers (I checked out how much Molex want for just one ....eek!)
Picoblades are solid connectors. I use them pretty regularly. The official Molex crimper works well. Please report back on how well that generic crimper works!