SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By alexanders
Hi to all :D

I am making a program that reads and writes to a ram (cypress) using the data ports (as i/o, bidirectional) and control ports (for the we, oe, etc) of the parallel port of my computer using visual basic, however when i tried the program at first i works fine, however after repeating entering and writing data to the ram i get a error, for example

Address Data input Data output
1 2 2
2 4 2
3 7 7

as you can see in the 2nd data output, the ram read the data on address 1 instead of 2! however this happens about 3/10 times so i know my program can write and read data correctly. but can anybody explain this? my ram has a 12ns access time so i thought timing should not be a problem, however eventhough i make the writing and reading equal to 1sec per instruction (we to high, address changes.. etc) i still get error messages. Btw, i connected the port directly to the ram without any resistors, becuase i that will only make a delay in the access time (correct?) thank you everyone :D

you can contact me at glenn.fetalvero@gmail.com
By leon_heller
You could try looking at the various signals with a suitable scope, to make sure that you are actually satisfying the RAM timing requirements. The printer port is very slow, which might be causing problems.

Leon
By alexanders
so even though i made the output to 1ms = 1Mhz, its still to slow for the ram? i thought errors are made because of fast input/read command. btw, do you happen to know what's the maximum speed of the parallel port?

thank you again for your time :D
By leon_heller
Try putting some delays in between enabling the RAM and reading/writing data. Just a guess on my part.

Leon
By rod_vdb
alexanders wrote:so even though i made the output to 1ms = 1Mhz, its still to slow for the ram? i thought errors are made because of fast input/read command. btw, do you happen to know what's the maximum speed of the parallel port?

thank you again for your time :D
Just to confirm:

1ms = 1 milli second = 1/1000s = 1kHz
1us = 1 micro second = 1/1000000 = 1MHz
By leon_heller
Yes, those times are right.

Leon
By alexanders
i made a mistake sorry, i made 1ms=1khz delay on each of the output so theres a delay :D
in addition when i write a high bit, the error seems to get worst example:

address data output
1 240 240
2 8 114
3 98 114
4 2 98

i mean where in world did the ram get the 114???

thank you for your replies :D
By Kuroi Kenjin
Exactly what chip is this?