SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By SOI_Sentinel
Hi,

I was at one time working on schematics for an embedded Kodak KAC 9630 126x96 monochrome pixel imager to interface to most (if not all) microcontrollers. Unfortunately, they discontinued that part a while ago now. I liked it for several reasons:

8 bit data bus
up to 10MHz clock
up to 580fps
up to 90 fps via SPI interface
Excellent low light performance at lower framerates
Small data size (12K RAM for an uncompressed frame)

I think I can still get it on the surplus market, but I'm not crazy about developing for something I may not be able to get, especially since I still have to pair and test it with a lens (although http://www.optics-online.com/ccdcmos_lens_wizard.asp makes that somewhat easier). It would have to be in bulk to be affordable, and would depend on how many I can find.

Would something like this be useful to anyone? Or are things like the Arduino Eye Shield,Video Experimenter shield, and the like have obsoleted something like this?

I'm considering skipping this and waiting for production of the STM 32 F2 series to pair it with something like the MT9T031 where I can push framerates over 100fps at VGA, but with loss of light sensitivity. I'd still have to cut it down more to fit in the RAM of the F2 series, but they have a dedicated hardware camera port which makes some operations easier. This is a whole different project then, as it then needs the high end processor for image work, putting this in the same class as the CMUCAM line.
By SOI_Sentinel
Depends. The originally went for about $20 from Digikey. I found a surplus sales guy in Ireland via Ebay (I'm in the US, so "one or two chips" is not exactly cheap) who had put up a lot of 28 in their storage tray for 49 euro plus 8 euro shipping. I don't know what his current pricing is, but he told me he can get more.