SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Zurgy
I'm looking for a connector for a membrane keypad* which terminates in a flexible ribbon cable. SparkFun have something along the lines here:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8973

However it's designed for an SMD board with 0.1mm spacing, I'd like something suitable for a breadboard.

Can anyone tell me what this type of connector is called so I can go searching for other examples?

Thanks,

Ben.

* the one on the new BigTrak toy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By colinb
What you need is an FFC (flexible flat cable) / FPC (flexible printed circuit) connector. The SparkFun receptacle you mention is similar to all the FFC/FPC receptacles I've seen. Some are simply friction-retention and some have a lever that you press after inserting the FFC/FPC. Here's another example of a common FFC/FPC receptacle.

I've never seen an FFC/FPC connector that have 0.1" pin pitch since it's a huge difference from the native cable pitch. What you will probably need to do is make a breakout board. I've done this for some LCDs and it's not hard if you've made PCBs before. It would be a fairly difficult PCB to fabricate at home (e.g., toner-transfer, etc.), but for a few dollars you could get three boards made at Laen's DorkbotPDX PCB order and have them in a couple of weeks.

An alternative if you want it quick and dirty is to super-glue the FFC/FPC connector down on some perfboard (make sure pins are insulated from the board by using the back side or some Kapton tape). Then use 30-32 gauge UEW (aka magnet wire) like ChaN uses or some 30-gauge wire-wrap wire, a fine soldering iron tip, and lots of patience to break out each FFC/FPC connector pin to a 0.1" pin header on the perfboard.
By Zurgy
Thanks ColinB.

Information is really useful, I can see there's a huge range of connectors about but most of them will need a breakout of some description. The quick'n'dirty technique looks interesting in a masochistic kind of way, especially for wiring SMD ICs!

Quite happy to design a board. The BigTrak, being a toy, has some interesting cost-cutting measures. It doesn't use a connector at all, just pads on the PCB with a piece of plastic holding the cable against them. I might adopt the same approach as I can reuse the piece of plastic and screws with my own board. Sorry, no photo as I'm parted from it at the moment.

Was thinking of making a BigTrak shield for the Arduino with an H-bridge chip on it and XeeBee interface. Just had some very decent boards made by Olimex in Bulgaria. Might give Dorkbot PDX a go as they're much cheaper for smaller circuits and he's only charging $5 for international shipping.

Thanks again,

Ben.