SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By roach
I'm desiging a project that involves using all 8 ADC pins on the ATMega32. I've read in various places that EMF interference is to be avoided at all costs when using the ADC. Since this will be on a motor-controller board, near some pretty "loud" motors, I want to isolate the traces from the input pin headers to the uC somehow. Apart from keeping these traces as short as possible, and using twisted-pair or shielded cable for the inputs, is there any other strategy I can employ that will still give me the full 0-AREF voltage range on these pins?

thanks in advance,
By leon_heller
roach wrote:I'm desiging a project that involves using all 8 ADC pins on the ATMega32. I've read in various places that EMF interference is to be avoided at all costs when using the ADC. Since this will be on a motor-controller board, near some pretty "loud" motors, I want to isolate the traces from the input pin headers to the uC somehow. Apart from keeping these traces as short as possible, and using twisted-pair or shielded cable for the inputs, is there any other strategy I can employ that will still give me the full 0-AREF voltage range on these pins?

thanks in advance,
Keep the analogue and digital grounds separated, and filter the analogue supply. Details are in the data sheet.

Leon
By roach
Thanks Leon! I checked the data sheet, and they give recommendations, but I'm not sure I'm completely grasping the concept of a seperate Ground plane for AGND.

Electrically, how does AGND connect to GND? I mean, obviously, they need to be seeperated, but at some point they have to connect. How is this typically done?

thanks again.