SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By tomkraze69
I'm new to the world of electronics and soldering. I'm trying to figure out the best surface to solder on. I have plain old wooden desk, but I'm afraid that it might burn if the soldering iron touches it.

What surface do you think would work the best?
By coyote20000
Wood is fine. Use a stand. Just don't leave the iron on the wood for too long, or leave it unattended.
My bench is all wood and have been using it for 30 years without problems.
By fll-freak
KeithB wrote:The aluminum pan is a good idea since it is also static safe.
Only if it is grounded.

I use an anti static mat grounded to earth ground. You have to leave an iron on it a long time to melt the surface.
By tomkraze69
Thanks for all of your replies. I finished my first soldering project (A 555 Timer blinking LED) and did it on my wooden desk with a plastic mat on top. Though solder dripped on it, it easily came off.
By mechG
A plastic mat might not be the safest. You might call some local remodeling stores and see if they have any faux stone remnants from kitchen counter installs. Like the piece they cut out to insert a sink into the countertop. That material is usually quite heat resistant.
By nickersonm
If you don't mind scorch marks, a wooden desk surface is fine. I've done all my soldering directly on a wooden surface, although often the components are suspended and thus not really on a surface. Your desk may experience some discoloration if you apply the soldering iron directly to the surface, accidentally, but solder splashes should pose no problem.
By AndyC_772
A highly conductive surface like aluminium isn't static safe; in fact, by providing a low resistance to earth it actually increases the chances of a destructive discharge through the device.

ESD damage occurs when a large current flows through a device and causes localised heating - that's the underlying science, it's that simple. The large current flows when there's a large voltage across two or more pins, and that voltage comes from any electrostatic charge which exists.

An ESD-safe mat is dissipative, ie. slightly conductive, so although it will allow charge to leak away to earth, it does so slowly enough that any resulting currents which flow in a device will be small and harmless. In fact it doesn't even matter if the mat's earthed or not, provided it's at the same potential as the components and the operator (ie. you!)

A wooden or plastic mat is insulating, so charge remains on its surface which can result in harmful ESD events in a device. Plastic is the worst; most factories where electronic equipment is assembled won't even allow plastic objects (crisp packets, lunch boxes and similar) into the assembly area at all for this very reason.

On the other hand, a metal surface allows charge to flow too quickly (ie. large current) - which is exactly what you're trying to avoid in the first place. So not only is it arguably even worse from an ESD point of view, it'll also short out your project if you power it up on the bench. If you're working on live equipment then it's a safety hazard too.

My advice would be to treat yourself to a proper anti-static mat with an earthing plug and wrist strap. They're not expensive, are intended to resist solder splashes, and will protect your bench and your components from unfortunate mishaps.
By itikhonov
I use cheap aluminium ikea pot stand on my cheap laminated desk (here it is http://yfrog.com/h7x8qldj). I do cutting/drilling/hotglueing more then soldering right now so it better suits my needs. When i do soldering i put a piece of cotton cloth or something alike between board and aluminium.