SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By rgbphil
Hi Kevin,

Doing a small scale test of the alternatives is definitely the way to go.

Please keep us informed of the progress. Post pics and descriptions when you have a spare minute. This sort of feedback gives us forum lurkers a warm fuzzy feeling when we see someone doing something practical with our forum quips and comments on things.

If I may suggest, you can use this forum to post pics, or a more organized place might be to post your progress on www.instructables.com. Don't forget to post any mistakes or stuffups you might make along the way as well as successes, engineers and tech people like to learn from mistakes......unlike management types.

Good luck,
Phil
By pov_nelson
My Laptop has both an ethernet port and a phone port in it. Do i still need to get a ds9490R adapter or will it work with what I have?
Kevin
By ohararp
In terms of sensors you should checkout http://www.ibuttonlink.com/sensors.aspx for a single sensore on a wire

or if you wanted to get fancy you get run a single wire with multiple sensors at different height all on the same bus. http://www.ibuttonlink.com/tstring.aspx
By esklar81
pov_nelson wrote:My Laptop has both an ethernet port and a phone port in it. Do i still need to get a ds9490R adapter or will it work with what I have?
Yes, you still need an adapter. More generally, just because two connectors will mate physically does not mean that they are carrying compatible signals. Junk bins the world over are full of testimony to this. :wink:

Eric
By Erkle
I'm using the OneWire sensors to monitor a green house and EMI from the lighting I've found is a major trouble maker, to the extent of disabling sensors. But it sounds like out in the farm they will have their own shield in the form of the outside of the silo. However the run outside will pickup the EMI more the longer the run. Shielded cabling is a must from my findings.