SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By madcat207
I have been thinking of projects to use a new battery with, and one of them that i thought of (using as a spare power supply for a cell phone) requires a 5v input (USB connection) I tried a straight connection, but as i figured, it did not work.

From my understanding, this is a fairly unique part, but if anyone has any ideas, that would be great. :)
By Kuroi Kenjin
Just look for a Step-up converter. (Or even a Cuk, SEPIC, or Buck-boost). Microchip has a ton of these for just what you're doing. You can sample a few for free if you have a company or university e-mail. Or you can get them on Digikey, Jameco, Mouser, and whereever else pieces-parts are sold. They'll be a small chip, and will require an inductor, a few capacitors, resistors, and a few diodes (one of which being a zener). The datasheet should show you how to hook it all up.
By Kuroi Kenjin
Yeah, that's what I'm refereing to. I dunno if you're going to find a pre-made board, but you can always work up a small PCB (probably smaller than 1"x1"). Also really nice that the datasheet gives you suggested parts.
By madcat207
Some of the maxim parts have eval boards, but i cannot find how to order samples.

And while there is enough info out there, i am not sure i have a steady enough hand to solder parts that small (the IC is quite tiny from what i can tell).
By geekything
I'm actually looking for a part that does the same right now (3.7 LiPoly to 5vdc and 3.7LiPloy to 3.3vdc).

However, I've got relatively high current requirements (~500mA) -- anyone got a favourite part that's *readily* availabe? There are Maxim parts that do this, but they're not available in less than 2500 quantity from Digikey.

-marc
By madcat207
Maxim's site may be able to get you a few samples. I inquired about a board, so if i hear anything, i will let you know.
By geekything
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=317

I totally forgot that was there. And totally forgot that I have one sitting here!! :roll:

This puppy can take your 3.7vdc and charge it up to 5vdc or higher. Requires a few passives (bypass caps, resistors, and an inductor) -- but that's not unusual.

Best thing for you will be that you can put this all on a solderless breadboard and there're example circuits in the datasheet.

For around $5 you'll be all set.

-marc
By Kuroi Kenjin
Oh yeah! I forgot, they used that on their ringer circuit. It should more than handle either of your guys circuits (1.5A output).
By Philba
it's an interesting chip and I'm tempted to use it in a couple of places. one downside is the output ripple seems kind of high. the couple of designs I worked through had more than 100 mV ripple. still, it looks like it might be pretty useful. another slight negative is it requires a pretty large (and pricier) inductor due to its lower switching frequency. Newer smps controllers use much higher frequencies and thus smaller inductors. of course, you pay for that.