SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By Corsair
Hi all,
I'm involved in a project to monitor some wildlife - we're interested in the weights of nesting seabirds. These guys build burrows, so what we plan to do is place a small load cell in the tunnel and use that to get the weight as they go in and out.

The load cell will generate a voltage in a (fixed) range which will pass through an A to D converter and be fed into one of the inputs on the MaxQ. This input will be stored, along with the date/time, in the internal memory of the processor each time the event happens. Later on we might also add an RFID tag reader to the system, which will send through an ID before the weight (if the bird is going into the nest, say) or after the weight (if the birds on the way out).

We have a MaxQ-P2000 development board and JTAG USB connector, both purchased from the folks at Olimex.

Now, the problem here is that I'll be writing the code for this project and, while I'm a reasonable C/C++ coder, I've never before touched a project involving microprocessors and I'm a little out to sea. Would anyone have any resources that might help or that might be useful for this sort of setup? Particularly introductions into writing code for embedded system in general and/or a good introduction to the MaxQ in particular. Sample source code would be greatly appreciated as there seems to be very little available on the net.

What tools are there available? Max-IDE is one, but it doesn't have a C compiler. I could handle assembly if need be, but that would get rather interesting - and again, I've been unable to find much in the way of sample code. I've looked at GCC and I'm currently chasing up some information on building a cross-compiler as there seems to be a patch available. New territory again, though.

IAR Workbench is another one that I see popping up a lot; but, while I can get it to compile the tutorial code, I seem to be having some trouble getting it talking to the Olimex board.

I realize these are quite general questions and I apologize for that, but I'm a little lost and would greatly appreciate some direction. I've arrived here via the Olimex website so I hope questions about this chip are on topic.

Cheers
By leon_heller
Corsair wrote:Hi all,
I'm involved in a project to monitor some wildlife - we're interested in the weights of nesting seabirds. These guys build burrows, so what we plan to do is place a small load cell in the tunnel and use that to get the weight as they go in and out.

The load cell will generate a voltage in a (fixed) range which will pass through an A to D converter and be fed into one of the inputs on the MaxQ. This input will be stored, along with the date/time, in the internal memory of the processor each time the event happens. Later on we might also add an RFID tag reader to the system, which will send through an ID before the weight (if the bird is going into the nest, say) or after the weight (if the birds on the way out).

We have a MaxQ-P2000 development board and JTAG USB connector, both purchased from the folks at Olimex.

Now, the problem here is that I'll be writing the code for this project and, while I'm a reasonable C/C++ coder, I've never before touched a project involving microprocessors and I'm a little out to sea. Would anyone have any resources that might help or that might be useful for this sort of setup? Particularly introductions into writing code for embedded system in general and/or a good introduction to the MaxQ in particular. Sample source code would be greatly appreciated as there seems to be very little available on the net.

What tools are there available? Max-IDE is one, but it doesn't have a C compiler. I could handle assembly if need be, but that would get rather interesting - and again, I've been unable to find much in the way of sample code. I've looked at GCC and I'm currently chasing up some information on building a cross-compiler as there seems to be a patch available. New territory again, though.

IAR Workbench is another one that I see popping up a lot; but, while I can get it to compile the tutorial code, I seem to be having some trouble getting it talking to the Olimex board.

I realize these are quite general questions and I apologize for that, but I'm a little lost and would greatly appreciate some direction. I've arrived here via the Olimex website so I hope questions about this chip are on topic.

Cheers
If you want to use C you'd be better off with the MSP430 (gcc is available for it). It's arguably better then the MaxQ for many applications and support will be much better.

Leon
By OldCow
I have a MAXQ2000 evaluation board and the JTAG programmer. Both from Maxium/Dallas. I think the assembler is good enough for me. I would not try the IAR C-compiler (30-day evaluation).

If you can accept assembly code, may be I can help you.

I used MSP430 a lot. The MSP430F20 has 16-bit ADC. Is that good enough for you?

If you decide to switch to MSP430, I know I can help you.
By Philba
Since your main focus is building the monitoring hw and sw, I would definitely not go a direction that forces you to learn a lot of new areas - like learning assembly language or porting a compiler. Your application seems like just about any decent microcontroller could handle it, even with rfid. Maxq2000 is kind of on the bleeding edge. I know you've alread got one but not having a C compiler sound like it could be a major hurdle. I'm a very capable assembly programmer and I'd still choose C first. For some one just learning ASM, it's a no-brainer - you will do a better job with C.

What led you to the MAXQ? I didn't see anything in your application decription that said "speed" or "code space". That said, most PICs or AVRs seem very likely to easily meet your needs and have great support and tools available. I don't know the TI micros very well but they sound capable. Freescale micros could do the job as well. If you are logging, they all can support additional eeprom memory. Is ADC resolution a key issue for you? Most of the above chips have 10bit ADCs. Getting accurate results above this is going to take some very good engineering to avoid noise so I'd factor that into the thought process.

Phil
By stevech
I Googled and saw mention of a public domain version of GCC for the MAXQ. This would be good, since GCC for the AVR is one reason the hobby folks love the AVRs.

I do have reservations about Maxim being able to support microprocessors adequately.

I'm impressed to the "max" by ZBasic's ease and sophistication and the ZX24 platform.