SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By gonzodada
Hi folks

My Serial LCD has freaked out on me. Have resorted to the simplest of tests to investigate. A simple Serial.print('hello world') with the LCD connected to 5V/GND/TX on an Arduino Duemilanove.

My problem is the characters are extremely dim. Almost imperceptible. At certain angles I can just see them. So there's no problem writing to the screen. Just to be sure I tried the various reset suggestions out there once I Googled for help. I turned the backlight on and off, reset the baud rate to 9600, done the overall reset. No dice.

I discovered there is in fact a contrast pot which I've tweaked. It makes it a bit more readable at some angles. I don't think it's the answer though as I've never had to play with it before.

I've looked at the SFE documentation and at the Hitachi documentation for the controller chip. The only thing I can think of in the latter is that there is a screen on/off command too but it's not clear how to turn that into a sketch. In any case if the screen were off I don't think I'd be able to see anything.

My LCD gets fairly rough handling! What could be fried electronically to cause this behaviour or is it indeed (fingers crossed) a software issue?