SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By obbi13
Hello,

I got the Ulimate IMU as a scratch & dent and everything looks good with the exception of one component that I can't identify what it is. Look at the picture and if somebody can tell me what that is it will be great, actually if somebody can tell me the part# it would be awesome. That way I can order it and fix the IMU.

Looks like a 35V 1uF Panasonic FC Series Electrolytic Capacitor:
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/com ... series.pdf

P/N is in that datasheet.

Oh no, I'm a nerd.
Given the proximity to the ADXL345, I'd lean towards it being C15 (1uF on the schematic corresponding to the 1uF labeling on the cap)

C3 and C16 look like they're tantalum caps, judging from the product photos.

obbi13, are you sure that part is the one causing problems? Try removing it form the PCB and seeing if it works, (in case it's a solder short or something). That cap shouldn't be 100% necessary to run the IMU, it's just part of the bypass / power filtering network on the ADXL345.
Hehe, it's that tricky second page to the schematic ;)
By Blackfin
Roko wrote:Hehe, it's that tricky second page to the schematic ;)
LOL. You got me. I didn't want to admit it but I didn't check for the 2nd page. My browser (Firefox) doesn't show the PDF page number unless I cursor down to the bottom of the page or hit ESC. I was looking for polarized caps only...

Anyway, lame excuse. I should've been more thorough :mrgreen:
Roko wrote:Given the proximity to the ADXL345, I'd lean towards it being C15 (1uF on the schematic corresponding to the 1uF labeling on the cap)

C3 and C16 look like they're tantalum caps, judging from the product photos.

obbi13, are you sure that part is the one causing problems? Try removing it form the PCB and seeing if it works, (in case it's a solder short or something). That cap shouldn't be 100% necessary to run the IMU, it's just part of the bypass / power filtering network on the ADXL345.
It came without the cap (i guess that's what made it a scratch & dent) to be honest I haven't even powered the IMU yet for fear to kill it completely or something getting sparky.

I'll give it a try and post my findings. Btw, is there a library or example code to test it
out for an Arduino? I'm salivating to play with the gyro/accelerometer and microSD. :-)
Ah, neat. Maybe just check for power-ground shorts with a multi-meter.. If there are none plug it in and hope for the best :D